• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Giddyup

Started by Shadow, September 03, 2017, 05:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Hi Gang. Any thoughts how to improve this one? Thanks for the once over!

Bambi

I would take a little red out of her face. If you use the curves on-image adjustment tool, it will also take a little red out of the horse. Did you try Content Aware Fill on any of that? Would have made a muck of the fence, but it works great on areas with the missing dirt. Might need some touch ups, but it's quick and fun.

Check the color profile. The file posted isn't sRGB.

Shadow

Thank you Bambi. Appreciate your feedback! Love the on image adj tool. See if this looks better.
The content aware was somewhat sporadic so went back and took good dirt areas and moved to new layer etc.
This is a jpg with srgb color space. Usually use screen shots and they don't have color spaces it seems.

Bambi

That's it! Just wondered about Content Aware Fill. Sometimes I try it, but it doesn't always work as well as other techniques. Dirt is easy either way.

Tess (Tassie D)

I would make the horse's very front hoof the same colour as the rest. It looks a little dark?
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

Lynnya

Lovely job my friend!  :up: :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mike Morrell

Hi Shadow.

I'm a complete newbie to OPR and this is my first comment on anyone else's restore. This comment is also a way for me to learn more about OPR's restoration policy.

IMHO your restore looks fine as it is. Your color correction and 'damage repair' look great to me. With all respect to the previous posters, I wonder how much additional value further tweaking (see previous comments) has for the requester. If I've understood OPR's mission correctly, it is primarily to restore photos to their original quality as far as possible rather than enhance them. So personally, I would avoid changing the color/tone of faces/hoofs as this seems more a cosmetic rather than a restoration operation.

Just my opinion,

Mike
Musician, Photographer and Volunteer

Mhayes

Hi Mike,

Great to see you posting as so many volunteers don't.

As to restoring photos to their original quality it depends on color correction and that is usually by either Levels, Curves, or finding the gray point. All of the photos that we get have water damage and some are old and that has changed them from what they were originally. If all we did was correct missing information, heal where there is mold, the end result would not be how they looked originally. The horse in the picture is a palomino and they are more of a golden color and the red color cast could have been the sun. As to the hoofs I'm okay with the end result, but agree with Tess that front hoof needs changing and also the direction the hoof is pointed.

When we say we want it restored to the original, we are also talking about not filling in with something from another photo. If the baby is missing an arm, use the other in the photo and transform, rather than going online and hunting for "body parts.

Some of our restores may look better than the original, but color correction comes first as most flood photos have changed from their original. While it may seem cosmetic; I'm afraid I differ on it not being part of a restoration operation. I've been with OPR 10 years and the quality of the restorations have improved. I do appreciate a different perspective and your personal thoughts. In the end the distributor and Quality Control have the final say.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mike Morrell

Thanks for the feedback, Margie. I've just discovered that I can view the photos full-screen too!
Having done that - and looking at the 2 photos more closely, I agree with the comments already made. And I do take your point about restoring photos as closely as possible to how they were originally rather than just repairing the damage.

Mike
Musician, Photographer and Volunteer

Shadow

Thanks for the feedback Mike.