• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hello from Pennsylvania

Started by TheGryphon, September 07, 2017, 12:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGryphon

Hello OPR,
My name is Patrick, or Pat if you prefer, honestly I pay little mind which way people call me.  I am new here, just started working on my first photo today.  Honestly I have only a little experience restoring pictures, mostly for my father-in-law before he passed away.  And his stuff was mostly pictures that had cracks due to being rolled up, and color fade from being 50+ years old.   I chose one of the least damaged photos as my first project, I started off by restoring the top right edge and kind of jumping back and forth between different parts of the photo.  I think most of this photo will be relatively simple, couple things have me a little unsure of how to tackle mostly the knick knacks on top of the TV, not sure what it even is... or what I am going to do about the bears....
I think I can restore the TV cabinet OK, the TV should not be a problem... already starting to tackle that... though not sure about the stuff on top.  I basically tried following the lines and cloned what looks like wood over.  And I fiddled with a few spots here and there in random spots of the picture that were drawing my eye in.  Removing artifacts that probably were not part of the original picture.

I tried volunteering before to be a Web Admin for a "Search and Rescue" organization, but it turned out the guy "leading" it is an alcoholic, he has those search and rescue vests on his dogs and walking around the local grocery store with them because they are "service dogs"  and basically giving charity organizations a bad name, glad I did not donate any money but wasted enough time fixing up his website, but neither the guy or any of his "partners" responded to any questions or request for feedback, or able to produce his 501(c)(3) numbers  and I quickly abandoned the effort.   So I been on the lookout for something legitimate volunteer work that I might like to do.

OPR appears to have their 501(c)(3) numbers, one of the first things I looked up  :up2:.  OPR made the news a number of times, which gave me some confidence to maybe try volunteering to do something for a good cause again.  Lately I been using Paint.Net and Gimp to place myself into historical events or movies, and other goofy stuff like turning myself into a rabbit (see below). Anyhow I was listening to the news the other day, listening about the Hurricane Harvey, and my mind drifted to thinking about a show my wife watches Pit Bulls and Parolees episode where someone was restoring photos after this one couples home got destroyed.  And thought to myself I could probably do that.... and well here I am.

*** Removed Broken Links ***
Patrick Feehan

Work smarter, not harder      - Allan H. Mogensen

Hannie

A warm welcome from Amsterdam Patrick!
Thank you for posting your work here, that is a great start.

Unfortunately Photobucket does not support third party linking any more so we can't view your images here. 
This link will explain to you more about the Photobucket hijack: 
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,5136.msg45161.html#msg45161

A good alternative for Photobucket is Imgur.
http://imgur.com/
A very userfriendly imaging site and they allow 3rd party linking without having to pay a ransom.

You can also use the "Add Image to Post" to add photos to your post.  The link is situated at the bottom of the typing field when write your forum post.

One more thing, it would be great if you could post your work in progress not here at the welcoming centre but rather in one of the OPR Workshops.  You picked an easy restore so you can post here:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/board,2.0.html

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mike S.

Welcome to OPR Patrick from Michigan,

You could also try https://postimages.org/ to post your images.

Glad to see you on the Forum.

Mike
Mike S.

TheGryphon

Thank you for the welcome.
Yeah I was a little worried that would happen when I signed up with Photobucket and saw their extortion fee.  To be honest the short experience with the site was not a good one constant invasive ads, making posting pictures a painful experience, and for some reason causing my PC to run the fans at full speed.   I will try Imgur.com, or PostImages.org later today and posting to the works in progress to the other section of the forum.

Looks like the Navigation PDF will need to be updated to reflect the new instructions.

Patrick Feehan

Work smarter, not harder      - Allan H. Mogensen

Shadow

Mhayes

Hi Patrick, a warm welcome from Kansas. So glad you joined and interesting hearing how you came our way. Looks like the posting of your first photo that you have a good insight on color correcting.

OPR has been around for 11 years and I can't think of another group that can match our record of restoring/printing disaster photo free of charge. OPR has great volunteers--some that have been with us since the start. We owe a huge thanks to our two sponsors: PhotoShelter and DigMyPics. Without them I doubt we could have survived.

Hopefully someday you will be able to come on one of our copy runs and meet the people behind the photos and experience how much this means to them.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mike Morrell

Hi Patrick and welcome to OPR,

I'm a newbie here too and I signed up just a couple of days before you. Like you, I'm working on my first photo and finding my feet at OPR. Your first restoration looks great so far!

Mike
(Netherlands)
Musician, Photographer and Volunteer

Bambi

A warm welcome from sunny Las Vegas.

Lynnya

Welcome from Florida Patrick...look forward to working with you.
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Pat

Great to see you on the forum Patrick.  Welcome from Michigan.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Candice

Great to meet you. Patrick. 

Candice
Oklahoma
Candice