• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hurricane Harvey

Started by Shadow, August 24, 2017, 01:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

To all in the path of the storm and flooding rains ... may you and all you care for be safe.

Lynnya

Yes ditto that Shadow..be safe all...
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Hannie

Yes please, everyone stay safe!
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

This is going to be a major hurricane and what is just as bad is the rains, forecasting up to 25" and some even higher. I do hope that those in Harvey's path take heed and evacuate.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/24/rapidly-strengthening-harvey-forecast-to-slam-east-texas-as-major-hurricane-and-stall/?utm_term=.0ceeb04ebd3b

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Candice

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

One of the ways we try to get the message out past our own group of volunteers is through the OPR Facebook page. Since posting on how to take care of flooded photos, that post has reached 7,847 people. That is pretty amazing!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Happy to report that the Facebook count for that post is now 10,159. That is impressive that the word is getting out.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Thanks Margie, that is really good news!
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Excellent-the sooner people have the info the better their chances of saving their photos.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

This morning the count is up to 11,822. I'm also getting inquiries from people in Texas that are in positions to help us later in spreading the word, but most important they have connections of where to hold a run. This includes both Houston and Austin.

Right now the pollution in the water is a real concern and that includes chemicals and there is the fire burning from a chemical plant. Just to give you an idea: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/us/houston-contaminated-floodwaters.html

While the first concern is always for saving human lives; I have a soft spot for all pet and especially horses. I follow several several horse rescue sites and it is horrible to see horses suffering from "rain rot."
http://newsofthehorse.com/2017/thousands-of-horses-at-risk-in-texas/

What an overwhelming disaster that grows each day. Our hearts are with everyone flooded and that includes those in Southeast Asia: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/31/south-asia-flooding-leaves18-million-children-unable-go-toschool/

Last but not least and not related to Hurricane Harvey, but to the disaster in Southeast Asia; I would like to mention what Hannie is doing to help here and in Southeast Asia. Some of us help in ways that blow me away and make me happy that our paths have crossed and  Hannie Scheltema is one of those.

QuoteHannie is taking a little break from OPR "to do some map building for areas in Asia that have been hit by disastrous floods."  She will be back soon, but here is her explanation of what she is doing on one of her emails:  ". . . it involves mapping areas with the help of satellite photos.  You have to outline residential areas, roads, buildings, rivers, open areas for helicopters to land etc. Unlike the western world, none of these flooded areas have been mapped in the past sol it is quite a hopeless situation for rescue workers to know where to search."

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Oh Margie yes.. what a terrible disaster it all is and like you my heart breaks for all the animals caught up in this too.  Why am I not surprised to hear what Hannie is doing... she gives so much of herself and we've only had a glimpse of that. Be safe Hannie and we'll be here when you get back.  :hug:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

I agree Lynn. One point that I may have mislead and that is Hannie is doing this from her home in the Netherlands via the Internet and Google Map. Just like the boy in India that fell asleep in the train and couldn't get back home. He later used Google Map to try and find certain landmarks he remembered as a child.  :up2:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Thanks Margie. Appreciate the updates.
Good luck Hannie ... know you will be big help!

Candice

I'm so proud to be associated with so many great people in OPR.  The world is a richer place because we care!! 

Candice

Hannie

Little update on my project:  the Jhapa District, Bank of KankaiMai River area in Nepal is now 100% mapped!

Unfortunately there are thousands of other areas all over the world that need mapping.  So much work, so little time...  :(
http://tasks.hotosm.org/

Sometimes it seems overwhelming how much needs to be done, here at OPR and now the flooding in Texas.  But when I see the hard work our volunteers do every day it makes me feel very happy to be part of OPR!

You guys rock!  :up:

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]