• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Spotty Picture

Started by philbach, August 08, 2017, 05:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbach

Hi.  Well I just downloaded this photo and took a look at it.  This looks like a colorized black and white.  The vest and beard and hair have lots of spots more so than the skin which is just crackled.  The question is how should I deal with the spots.  Leave them in or level them out somehow.

phil

Shadow

Hi Phil. The spots responded well to Basic Noise Red and if you want to decrease the cracking on the skin, copy the head to another layer and try Dust & Scratches. Here's a real quickie. Look forward to seeing your work!

Mhayes

Phil, I agree that the photo looks colorized. Kind of hard to color correct on these, mainly a judgement call. Shadow, I like yours, but can't decide if I think he looks too rosy. I know this was a "quickie," and his shirt would be more white. His beard is interesting.  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

I would not worry too much about using a little of the dreaded paint brush on his coat.  It almost looks as if the whole original photo was painted. 

Retouchers in those days loved rosy cheeks.   :)
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

philbach

Well thanks.  I was wondering whether the portrait painter placed some white dabs on the beard and suit to make a faux texture or something.
phil

philbach

Hi.  No I am not done yet but I would like your opinion.  I replaced the background since I felt the original background was a solid color.  But what about the suit and the artist?  Notice the lines at the shoulder seam.   I guessed that the chances are, that  the subject's arms would be hanging by their sides.   the top vest button appears to be penciled in.  There is no toning  on the clothes as far as I can tell.
So should I mess with the original background?
What about the suit and the lines drawn on the suit by the artist?

Well thanks.

phil

Lynnya

HI phil,

I think you've done a great job so far.. for me, the lines on the jacket are a bit too sharp.. I would soften them a bit with some motion blur or gaussian blur... I would also add a bit of noise to the background..just to mimic the original more.. other than that I think it's great!
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

philbach

Thank you Lynnya.  I made the adjustments that you suggested and sent it in.  We shall see.

phil

Mhayes

Phil, much better with the adjustments.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Phil, great job on a very difficult restore!
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

philbach

Thank you.  It was an interesting project
phil