• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Query Non Restore?

Started by andrewturner1983, May 26, 2017, 02:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewturner1983

Hi was hoping to get some input regarding an image I've just received.  I have gone over it and feel there are some things that could be done.  But the face of the gentleman is virtually obliterated on all channels.  I supposed I could guess but don't feel that it would be a good restore.  The lady's face may be saveable using a copy of the side we have left and some warping.  But I would be guessing again when it came to the hair.  The top as well has some good sections but is mostly missing any detail so again would be guessing.  I'm not sure all this guess work would provide the best image restore.  Any opinions would be appreciated.

Hannie

Hi Andrew,

I agree with you, there is not much info left to work with.  No hidden detail in any of the channels either.  I checked if there were any reference photos for this couple but there are none.
I really do think this is a non restorable, you could return it to your distributor and pick another photo to work?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

andrewturner1983

Thank you for your advice and assistance.

Mhayes

Hi Andrew,

I agree with Hannie that this one is a non-restore. Some of these I was able at a the copy run to tell the family that there was too much gone from the photo for us to restore. Others similar got through and into our galleries, some may look bad but stand a chance with information in one of the channels or a reference phone--this one did not.

Great to see you on the Forum.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

andrewturner1983

Thank you for your help will let my gallery owner know.

Jonas.Wendorf

Usually I check for non-restores before uploading them to my gallery and mark the filename by appending "_poss-non-restore" or similar. I don't expect any of these images to be fixable, but if someone can work a miracle (which I know some of our members have done in the past :)) before the rest of the family's images are done, great :). Otherwise I'll just wait until the rest of the images are done and pass all of them on to QC. Thanks for giving it a try though :). Maybe this one is really impossible!
Best regards,
Jonas

Shadow

Hi Andrew. No wisdom to add, you were brave to even select that image. Good luck with your next choice.

andrewturner1983

Trying to challenge myself a bit more to expand my experience and improve my painting skills.  But this one was a bit to much :).

mentalaustrian

this is far from perfekt, but better than nothing ;)

Mhayes

Nice attempt and I applaud you, but sometimes nothing is better when a photo cannot be restored close to the original.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Mario, I agree with Margie that sometimes it is better left alone instead of ending up with an artist's impression of what the couple looked like.

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mentalaustrian

Quote from: Mhayes on October 27, 2017, 12:28:55 AM
Nice attempt and I applaud you, but sometimes nothing is better when a photo cannot be restored close to the original.

Margie
i agree, just didnt want to believe it isnt possible and tried

jesterjeni

I know this has been up for a year, but I was playing with it anyway- trying to practice my rusty skills