• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What did you get up to today?

Started by Tess (Tassie D), April 01, 2017, 05:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Ann Snover

I hope that water drains soon! There are ladybugs with stripes and other patterns - some really elaborate ones (I've only seen in a google search; never in my garden!)
Jo Ann

Mhayes

Ladybugs are great to have as they eat aphids and not sure what else, but they are "good bugs."
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Looks like you got more than your share of rain Candy. Loved the adorable bird! 
On our stroll this afternoon we passed four houses where they were cleaning up after huge oaks were damaged by wind and lightning during the storms. Breaks my heart when those giant trees come down.

Candice

Some of the BlackJack Oaks have short roots.  If pushed to hard the old trees can't stand up to mother nature.   I lost one huge tree via an ice storm right after we moved into our home.  You're right, it does break ones heart!

Our area had over 5" of rain last night. 
Candice

Lynnya

Um.. does anyone else think this might be a brown recluse spider? on my window?  in Florida?

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Jo Ann Snover

I'm not sure, but that pattern on its back looks wrong - and did you count the eyes? And FL isn't on the list of states in the article below...

https://www.wikihow.com/Identify-a-Brown-Recluse

Look at the pattern in the article below for a female house spider - it looks like those stripes to me

http://spiderbytes.org/2015/06/08/how-to-tell-if-a-spider-is-not-a-brown-recluse/
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Did I count the eyes?? I had a hard time getting close enough to get these.. I'm afraid of nothing... except spiders... apparently they are found in Florida but not native.. I'm hoping it will leave the area on it's own. I just checked and it's gone.. now I wonder where.... :-\

Mhayes

Did I count the eyes?? I had a hard time getting close enough to get these.. I'm afraid of nothing... except spiders.  :funny: :funny: :funny:

Lynn, I agree that I don't think it is a brown recluse spider as the it would have what looks like a violin pattern on its back. Hopefully you were using a macro setting and the spider is not that BIG! If it is that big, run, run, run!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: Lynnya on August 01, 2019, 01:46:57 PM
Did I count the eyes?? ...

:)

We keep a plastic drink tumbler and a piece of card on the counter for capture and ejection to the outside of any spiders that come visiting - it is nicer to know they're outside than wonder where they might have found to hide inside. Needs to be a transparent plastic tumbler so you can be sure you captured the critter. And the card wants to be rigid enough to slide easily between wall/window and tumbler (and then you know you wont get bitten through it should the invader get upset about his eviction).

Works for stink bugs too, if you have those :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

No stink bugs.. we did have those in Australia tho when we lived there.. I usually call for backup on spiders and creepy things but he's getting new tires put on the truck.. :(  I did however have the fun experience of having a large snake fall out of the tree onto my head and shoulders.. I shut it in the porch but when it looked at me and said (with it's eyes of course) "I'm sorry I fell on your head, I didn't mean to".. I let it out.
I need a bit of comic relief from this hand that won't comply...

Shadow

I'm with Margie ... no matter the size! Run!  :)

Candice

Candice

Mhayes

Lynn, you are a brave and kind soul. I don't have problems with snakes, but one landing on my head would have freaked me out.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

This is more what I didn't wake up to. With all emergencies it seems like they happen at the worst time. Saturday I was faced with losing Smoky because his kidneys were shutting down. Unfortunately my vet was out of town and when I called the emergency number; I got a text saying she was out of town and would not be back until late that evening. At around 9 pm Smoky was able to cross over the rainbow bridge. He was somewhere between 18 and 20 and was one of 3 drop offs that happens a lot when you live in the country. This picture was taken in 2012 when he looked at his best. RIP Smoky.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Oh Margie. So very sorry.  :hug: