• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Cake

Started by Shadow, March 24, 2017, 06:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Hi Gang. Asking for ideas and suggestions for how to tackle the cake in this image. Working on it might drive me to a cake of my own!  :cool:

Hannie

Oh my, I have 2 suggestions for you:

or go ahead and eat a cake of your own.
(I would do the latter)

>:D

All kidding aside, I would not know what to do to bring that wedding cake back to life...

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

Hannie, you are just too funny! Will keep it simple and see how it goes. More later ...

Shadow

Happy Monday gang. Started on the bkgd first. Used a combination of Lynn's Noise/Pixelate tip and added Brush/Sprayed Stroke to add some texture to the wall in back and to the right. Can't figure out what is on the right side of the table. Ideas anyone?!?! All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Shadow

Suggestion was to keep it simple. This may be too simple. Just don't know. Sure would appreciate some "good eyes" on this one! No idea what to do with right side of table and how does the couple look to you? Thx all.

Tori803

My thought is that a wedding cake is going to be very stylish with smooth, even lines. The big problem is that there is no way to determine any details, so you'll want to avoid putting any details in. For example, we can't be sure if those are black roses or black swans, so you can't try to make them clearer.

However, the black bands are probably a little smoother, whatever they are!
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Lynnya

Hi Lyn.. looking good.. I agree with Tori.. bands would be smoother.. also, I have a feeling those black squares on the original may be black napkins.. like a black and white theme maybe..and maybe add a bit more shadowing around the cake and glass. very subtle? I think I would do a faint gradient shadow coming in from your right as well to tone down the white wall..Couple look great to me :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Bambi

Is that blue swirly thing on top part of the cake or is it damage?

Bambi

Shadow

Thanks Tori,Lynn and Bambi. Tried to take your feedback and improve the image. Used Candy's trick of putting the original damaged layer on top to see what was what. Actually masked the original cake back in and then cleaned up what looked most like damage and left the rest. Added the shadow to the wall and stroked a selection to smooth out the dark ring at the bottom of each layer of the cake. For the topper, stroked a path just to see. Looks terrible but have no idea how to proceed there. Masked the 2 napkins back in and they still look off.  Looking at it here it looks like I levitated the cake. Hmmm  :crazy:  Any more ideas?  :D

Candice

Shadow could you share just the cake topper in its original size?  That might help us see it better. 
Candice

Lynnya

Hi Lyn... this is coming along really nicely... it's a tricky one.. I don't put it in "easy" at all... I think the cake shadow underneath makes it look like it's off the table.. band around the cake look much better.. not sure about the topper ... looks like it should be there but it's strange ...diffused shadow on wall looks great to me.. on the original there seems to be some white scrunched up napkins along with the black ones.. may just a hint of that to "mess up" the table a bit.  looking at the original the cake seems to continue below the band on the bottom layer... rather than the band being the bottom layer if you get my meaning..

I think you are doing a beautiful job with this tricky one and when you're done?? s'gonna be lovely  :up: :up:

Shadow

Candy and Lynn, thanks for the feedback! Here's the topper 100% screenshot and you can scroll to the right of the last WIP to see the whole cake. You nailed it on the cake levitating prob Lynn. Is it allowed to get some napkins off the internet for the table? Will get back to work and post a WIP later. Thanks again girls!

Lynnya

Or....Scrunch some white napkins or paper up and take a picture ;) don't matter how bad it is..Gonna blur it a bit and fade it right? :P

Shadow

Hi all. My napkin scrunching left a lot to be desired Lynn. Any thoughts on this? As for the topper ... totally bumfuddled what to do with it. All suggestions and feedback on the whole thing are welcome!  Wonder if there was champagne to go with this cake!  :funny:

Lynnya

Hi Lyn.. table looks great.. just looking at the original.. there appears to be another tier of cake under the top swirly thing.. like a topper.. also .. I took the original and bumped up the blues in hue/sat and it could be that the other apparently black roses or swans could be dark blue.. or.... the topper could be more black.. I can't see that the topper would be a different color to the rest of the cake.. I desaturated the blues and to me it looked better.. seems like a blue chemical cast or something....see what you think..  other than than that it looks great :up: :up: