• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Sisters

Started by Shadow, February 22, 2017, 05:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Hey Gang. Here's the newest. After a gray point and a Curves Layer (244/ 150/ 15) this is where it's at. Do you think this is a color photo or painted black and white? Any suggestions for improving the color or do you think I am on the right path? All feedback most welcome!  :D

Lynnya

Hi lyn... I reckon it's a painted photo.. not sure mind you but it looks it to me.. I wonder... could you convert it black and white and re paint it?? just a thought...there's a lot of yellow cast in the faces ... I copied it and desaturated the yellow and it looked more like a skin tone.. like the legs..or leg I should say for the girl on my left. When I increased the sat you could clearly see the yellow... lovely image...gonna be a tricky one me thinks  :cool:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Thank you Lynn. Will do the B & W and then go back with color. 'preciate your input.  :)

Lynnya

Looking forward to seeing your work Shadow.. it's fun coloring.. I've only done it once.. lots and lots of layers.. there was a great tut. on Lynda I think it was on coloring.. of course, I didn't put it in a folder so now I don't know where it is.... :P

Hannie

Sure looks like a colorized photo to me as well.  Should be fun to add the color afterwards!

Very brave to tackle this one Shadow!

:wnw:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Definitely colorized and the giveaway is the the hand painted rosy cheeks. I would give up trying any method to get the color right because the colorizing has screwed things up. Not knowing what software you are using, here is what I would try. On my Photoshop CS 5, I go to adjustments and do Black/White--still in RGB and not grayscale--I would pick the green filter as that seems to give the best options. Then I might do an auto Curves and from there I could clean up the photo to where I would be ready to colorize on my own. Good luck and want to see how you progress.

Margie

P.S. Forgot to mention that I would use the original to work with and not one where you have tried to color correct.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Thank you all for your feedback! We are back from celebrating birthday 3 for the "greats" and eager to get back to work. This was my plan ... There were 2 pics in Bambi's gallery and I thought I could use pieces and parts of each to fix the other. Below are the two originals. I will follow the suggestions and return painted pic to B&W. The next big step is how to resize (not resize the actual pic) the 8 x 10 girl so I can use her for the 5 x 7. Read somewhere you can change the layer mode to line up edges, but for the life of me, I cannot find where I put the steps  :crazy:  You know after I get past that hurdle I will be back asking about the painting  :D  Lynn, Margie, Hannie ... you are on notice. This ole' gal has never done that. Looks like fun though. Alrighty then, look forward to your feedback.   :)

Hannie

Shadow, you can paste the 8x10 over your WIP, change the layer mode to Difference then from the drop down menu Edit pick Free Transform.

Now comes the part where make the bigger image smaller to fit your WIP.
(when you hold the Shift key when you drag the sides the photo will restrain proportions) 
The Difference mode will turn black you when they line up perfectly. 

Of course both photos are damaged so you will never get a perfectly black image after line up but you can still see in undamaged areas if they turn black after the line up.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

Hannie ... you rock. That was what I was trying to think of! Worked like a charm. Thank you.
The images still need some clean up. What do you all see so far?

Mhayes

Picked up some tips I didn't know--Thanks! You can borrow some of the other sister's clean leg skin tones.  I know the hand painted were sometimes a little over the top with the painted cheeks, but think still nice to keep a little bit of them intact.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Thanks Margie ... was wondering how to improve the legs. I like the over the top look of the painted pics. They were a part of a different time. Will keep working and then maybe you can lend your "painter's eye".  ;)

Shadow

Started over. Used Hannie's tip to line up the images. How do these look? B&W 5 x 7 is first and Painted 8 x 10 follows. It looks off to me but not sure how to improve it. Any suggestions?

Hannie

Good looking legs Shadow!  (on your restore as well  ;))

Colorizing, I am no good at it at all.  I always intended to search the forum for some tutorials/ tips and try those out, I remember there were quite a few of those.

It may help if the overall photo is a little brighter and has more emphasized highlights.  Also in the dark areas it will probably help to use a lower percentage color brush, dark areas absorb more color.  I wish I could remember the technique that really helps in that department...

On the left the brighter version of your WIP.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Looks really good Lyn on my tiny phone screen..Legs look great...Much better.

Shadow

Thanks Lynn. And Hannie, good looking legs made for walking!  Oh, on the restore .... :funny:
Thank you for the example. Brightened the B&W base and it helped a lot. Jumped legs and arms to their own layers and added Noise Reduction. This image has lots of texture and left it in most places but it didn't look good there. Went back and tried numerous techniques and tuts for colorizing and ended up with a combo approach. Used Solid Color Adj Layers for most of the color. Each layer blend mode depended on the area. Color, Soft Light and Overlay. For the yellow dress ...stubborn bugger!  :knuppel: Ended up with Normal layer and painting color with varying opacity. The bright highlights went white with any of the fill options I tried on it. Finally, added Dodge/Burn. Still some tweaking to do and work at the bottom. Sure would appreciate a good once over and any thoughts or ideas!  ::)