• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Getting rid of texture

Started by Jo Ann Snover, November 29, 2016, 04:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Ann Snover

My latest restore was on this lovely image, and in getting rid of the texture, I used a combination of techniques that might come in handy for others at some point, so I thought I'd share.

Original and finished images:

An example of the texture at full size:

I had hoped to be able to use a FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) filter to fix the texture, but it didn't take care of enough of it, plus I was getting some streaks across the face and other areas as I tried to get more of the texture removed. I used ImageJ for the Mac to do the FFT and reverse.

I thought I might get somewhere with frequency separation - so that I could edit the texture on the detail layer while keeping the color intact. For anyone not familiar with this technique, Jonas had posted a tutorial and there's a good article here as well.

That was clearly going to be a very manual process, so after a bit of thinking I decided to try running the median filter on the detail layer of the frequency separation to smooth out the texture and that was really helpful. I put those layers in a group and masked them so as to apply only to the areas with texture (it blurs things a bit).

Afterwards I dug out an old scan I had of an image of me (many decades ago!!) that was printed on that bobbly photo paper. As that had texture uniformly over it, I thought I'd experiment with using the ImageJ FFT as well as frequency separation with the median filter on the detail layer to see if I could get good results either with Photoshop alone, or with a combination of ImageJ and Photoshop.

Here's a set of crops from that image to illustrate (click for larger):

You can see that the FFT made the texture less, but didn't get rid of it. When I took that result into Photoshop and used frequency separation, I was able to use a lower radius on the median filter than on the other example (where I skipped using ImageJ's FFT). I've also included the detail layer with and without the median filter
Jo Ann

Hannie

Hi Jo Ann,

Beautiful result!  Thanks so much for your post, it will be very useful for all those images where FFT alone just doesn't do the trick.

:up:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

You sure do nice work Jo Ann! Thank you for the texture tip ... am sure I will be putting it to good use.

Mhayes

Jo Ann, thanks for the great tutorial and the pictures to follow. I am book-marking so as to not lose track of it. Great picture of you when you were younger.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Thanks Jo Ann, great tutorial.. I'm about to try it out  :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...