• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Dapper Gentleman

Started by Shadow, October 25, 2016, 05:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackR

Hi Shadow...Luminosity masking works off the brightness of the image only. I have an action that makes the masks. In this pic I used one that targeted the lighter areas in the jacket so I could darken them, evening it out...Here is a utube with Dave Cross, he explains it way better than I can...luminosity starts a about time 14:05. If anyone is interested I can put the action to be downloaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pzZv7Eqirg&list=PLDshw2xP05UCAjJ4alJcuSfsJQUoMyVTg
The early bird gets the worm, but the SECOND mouse gets the cheese...

cheers...

Jack

Lynnya

Yes Jack please explain luminosity mask.. I actually have Topaz denoise and rarely use it..
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

Jack, thanks for the Dave Cross link.  :up:  I love his tutorials. This was taken from I think a Podcast, This Week in Photo, which made for a longer tutorial--29:32 and the actual Luminosity didn't start until the 14:11 marker. This was really interesting as I have in the past used something similar, but simpler that Katrin Eismann had in her book. In it you went to the channels and did a Ctrl click on the RGB and you when you saw the luminosity selection, you would then hit Ctrl (Cmd) J to duplicate the selection. From there you would go back to the layers palette and change the mode to "Soft Light." I've used that when needed and sometime reduced the opacity. This version by Dave Cross took it to a higher level and  more variation to tweak. Liked his making it an "Action."

I was getting antsy for the Luminosity tutorial to start, but I ended up picking up something before it did. Dave kept emphasizing the importance of Adjustment Layers and to keep your work so you can go back and see how you got to the finish. He emphasized not using the eraser tool as it is destructive. All of this I was aware of, but his point of choosing the "Smart Filter" over just going to Filter>then selecting was something I will do from now on.

Thanks again,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

JackR

Lynnya, watch the utube linked above,, FF to 14:10 or so to start with Dave's actual tutorial... the older denoise wasn't all that good as it took out some detail along with the noise...the last two versions,  denoise 5 and 6 are really good...and you can upgrade the Topaz filters you own for free...just d'l the  new one and install it... :)

Margie, Yes I love Dave's tutorials, he is good and he doesn't put you to sleep listening to him...lol  The only drawback to this was it was a podcast, and the host irritates me to no end...luckily you can FF until the real tut starts...Smart objects and smart filters are the best...being able to change things after the fact...I never "dumb" edit anymore...

cheers...

Jack

Shadow

Jack, thank you so much for the link. Skipped ahead to the point you said and watched it. Will write out the steps and save them in my go-to folder. You have a wonderful weekend!

JackR

Welcome Shadow, glad you got some use from it...here is a link to d/l the action for the luminosity masks if anyone doesn't want to make it themselves...this is my personal dropbox not a website...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3myrgew518vveey/LuminosityMasks.atn?dl=0

cheers...

Jack

Mhayes

Jack, thanks so much for giving us a link to the action for the luminosity mask! I had to smile about what you said about the host for the podcast as I was feeling the same.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Thanks for the link/and action Jack. Next time you are watching one of those shows & your tether is getting tighter and tighter, try hitting the CC button and mute  ::)  My BP usually drops right back down!

JackR

you're welcome, happy to share and help when I can... :)

cheers...

Jack

Lynnya

Thanks so much Jack for the tutorial link.. I'd seen something like it from somewhere else but it went in one brain cell and out the other.. this was soooo simple and so great.. It'll be something I'll use time and again THANK YOU. :up:

Lynnya

Hi Jack and all, I'm playing with the luminosity masks and am I right in thinking that in some cases it does actually affect other parts of the image? seems like it depends on the image. For instance if I select say darkest it works quite well but if I select dark it seems to affect the very darks also.. am I missing something or is it kinda subtle..I downloaded your action thanks for that.. ok.. modify all that.... it's a wonderful tool!!! I've been mastering it.. don't know how I lived without it before.. works like a charm.
Thanks
Lynn

JackR

Hi Lynnya, It takes a bit to get your head around luminosity masks...they work exactly like any other mask, white reveals, black conceals...they kinda look backwards when you start with them. Darkest affects the darkest parts of the image, it  doesn't darken on it's own, which I've heard people ask before...

example, if you wanted to adjust the sky only, you would use the light, lighter or lightest mask...I do not explain well, try watcing Dave's tut here...FF to 14:10 to get right to the "good stuff"  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pzZv7Eqirg&list=PLDshw2xP05UCAjJ4alJcuSfsJQUoMyVTg

cheers...

Jack

JackR

Quote from: Lynnya on October 29, 2016, 12:11:28 PM
Hi Jack and all, I'm playing with the luminosity masks and am I right in thinking that in some cases it does actually affect other parts of the image? seems like it depends on the image. For instance if I select say darkest it works quite well but if I select dark it seems to affect the very darks also.. am I missing something or is it kinda subtle..I downloaded your action thanks for that.. ok.. modify all that.... it's a wonderful tool!!! I've been mastering it.. don't know how I lived without it before.. works like a charm.
Thanks
Lynn
Most excellent...just takes some playing to get the hang of it...it is a great tool...

cheers...

Jack