• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Dapper Gentleman

Started by Shadow, October 25, 2016, 05:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

A new one and a first for me. Bless Margie ... girl has endless patience. Thank goodness she is generous with the tips. I added a levels adjustment layer (should read Sliders on the layer) and drug R G B in from each side and then added an auto Curves to improve the contrast. I balanced out the poster board in the background because the color cast after Levels and Curves was bothersome for some reason. Appreciate ALL suggestions and recommendations on how you would proceed from here. Thanks all.

Mhayes

Shadow, no need to balance the poster board unless it helps. In the end you will not want any poster board showing. I'm thinking the blue showing in the background around him that your will replace more with brown color around his head. This will be a fun one to watch and no feel like you should hurry. I often am so focused on getting to the finish line that I hurry to much and then I have to backup. Have fun with a really neat old photo.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Thanks Margie. It's like a really good book ... just hate to put it down.
Here's where I am ...
Put the 2 torn pieces on their own layers and then used the Puppet Warp to get the suit to line up.

Next I did some healing and clean up. Did my best to give him back his hair. Does it look right? ALL feedback welcome.
Added a Channel Mixer Layer and Hue/Sat to even out the color.
Filled in bkgd with lasso/copying/pasting good areas to blank areas and then tweaked with patch & clone to hopefully get it all to blend in.
My efforts with the suit have been pitiful so will work on that tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to even out the blotchy looking areas greatly appreciated. Am thinking those white spots are damage. What do you think?
Thanks all.

Mhayes

Shadow,

I think you are doing great. Maybe on his cheek (you right) you could darken it just a tad to give more definition. What I do is add a new layer from the top menu and set to either "Soft Light" or "Overlay" and then with a soft brush starting out maybe 15% or so darken with the foreground black and to lighten with it white.

Had to smile about your saying this was like a good book, hard to put down. I know the feeling. I learned something from you as I have not used the "puppet wrap."

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Hi Shadow, great job with the puppet warp.. never used it.. have to try that one.  I think you are right, the white is damage. Looking forward to seeing your final.  :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Thanks Lynn. How would you fix his suit? What decade would you guess this pic is from? Not familiar with the vest looking collar under the suit jacket - thought I would look for some images for reference?

Lynnya

Hmm.. I think his suit would definitely be wool and the vest or waistcoat as we say in UK would be the same.. so it would be a bit rough textured in my opinion..if it was me (and I'd probably get this wrong) I'd fade it down into darkish nothing at the bottom.. I would also maybe just use the patch tool to move a couple of the more distracting color's from the background.. not much tho..  hope that helps..

Shadow

Margie, thanks for the tip on the cheek. What would we do without our D & B layer?! So ... you know about good books huh?!  ;D
Lynn, thank you for your thoughts. Yes, they helped. (And thanks for the pic as well!)
Borrowed the "good" parts of the suit and bkgd and copied them to the missing parts ... Then I added a D&B layer for the image and tried improve the uneven coloring. I know the suit is lacking ... not sure how to improve from here? Ended up using Dust/Scratches to reduce the noise-looking stuff. Do more?

By the way, ck out this video as well on Puppet Warp.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIYxyQ2s64c  This guy gives all the info about PW and a tip about the Alt key I didn't know before. Very helpful.

Mhayes

Shadow, what a beautiful job you have done one on this one.  I got both of your uploads and like this one the best. Your mention D & B for Dodge & Burn, and I wonder if you use the tools from the toolbox or like I do by adding a new layer to Soft Light and 50% gray from the top menu? I like this way better as I find it easier for me to vary the opacity and to correct something I've done. I used this method to add more depth to your version and most of the time my brush was at 11% or so, and a few times up to 20%. I like that I can hit the "X" key and shift from my foreground being black for darker to white for lighter. I compared the original photo to get some idea where the shadows were to add to yours. Shading not only gives depth to the photo but makes his a little older. See what you think.

Margie

P.S. Thanks for the link for the Puppet Warp!  :up:
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

:wnw:  Margie ... THANK YOU!
Yes, I too use the white/black and paint with a brush. (Even made a keyboard shortcut to add Soft Light layer @ 50% gray) Really appreciate you making the time to show me your work. I did not know how far to take it and to tell the truth, short on experience. I like your end result. Much more natural and not as "flat". Saving your whole post as a reference. Bet my distributor will say we have one to ready to go home now  ^-^
Have a good one.

Mhayes

"Bet my distributor will say we have one to ready to go home now"   :) Yes, she will. I have been lucky in that one of the water color classes I took, we had to do a sketch in black/white first and that helped in getting used to how shading gives depth to a picture.

Thanks and enjoy your day.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

JackR

Didn't know how much to do here...used luminosity masking and two curves adj layers and a pass thru topaz denoise 5...to clean up some of splotchiness in the jacket

The early bird gets the worm, but the SECOND mouse gets the cheese...

cheers...

Jack

Mhayes

Jack, thanks for the input and another way to work the photo. Like both ways, but like how this causes him to stand out from the background.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Hi Jack, thanks for your input and example. I like what you did. What did you mean ... luminosity masking? Very nice.