• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

WWI Soldiers

Started by Candice, October 25, 2016, 12:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

Still working on the shadows and muck, but the soldiers are coming along.

Candice

Lynnya

Lookin good Canice :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Hannie

Nice work Candice, I like that despite all the cleaning you did no detail was lost.

:up2:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

Ditto with Lynn and Hannie! Very nice work Candice.  :up:

Candice

Thank you all.  Margie can tattle on me.  I love working on Soldier and black and whites.  I've seen so many great artists in here that have working on color pictures down... I love seeing the work.  Even after 10 years of being in OPR, I'm still learning! 
Candice

Mhayes

Candice, I wouldn't think of it.  ;)  One thing I notice about this photo in the original is the soldier in the middle--on your left, his shoulder's sleeve halfway down seems to be missing. Especially up higher it looks like you see the shrubbery behind but not the sleeve? Maybe it's like his other arm/sleeve where it is angled behind his back?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Margie, that's still picture garbage.   I didn't spot it when I was working on it, but I'm glad you caught it.  I don't know about others, but I work a little on the picture then put it a way a few hours or a day, and then open it up again.  Fresh eyes catch more.  :wow: In this case, you were my fresh eyes.  Thanks!   :hug:
Candice

Mhayes

Candice, you're welcome. I'm the same way and even true when I write something and then come back and wonder why I didn't catch something.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Margie... so true.  My nemesis is the word  - it's versus its.  My fingers want to put that apostrophe in place more than not.  lol
Candice

Mhayes

Oh Candice,  but I have a worse habit with contractions. It alters the meaning entirely when you say you "don't want . . ." but instead write "do want." This happens enough that I think I'm one banana peel away from needing a keeper.  :P

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

You're a kick, Margie!  LOL
Candice

Shadow

Thanks for WIP Candice. Very nice work. Will keep watching for more.  :)

Candice

:wow:
Candice

Mhayes

Candice,  looking good. One dumb question, but are the soldiers wearing long socks or are they long boots?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

They were  generally canvas lace-up leggings. The original purpose of leggings was to support (strengthen) the ankles of soldiers so as to help in marching and in giving strong grounding in hand-to-hand combat.

Some looked like wraps while other laced up. Some were of canvas, which these were, and officers generally had leather leggings.

Eventually these were done away with and replaced with boots. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spats_(footwear)
Candice