• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Birthday Boy

Started by Shadow, October 16, 2016, 10:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Hey Gang. Back with a new one. Someone let loose with the Magenta gun. Have tried numerous techniques for dealing with it & am stumped. Any & all suggestions welcome! Also, ran the FFT filter & can't see any difference. Did better than last time but obviously still missing something. Any suggestions? 
Thanks!

Original

Red Channel with FFT filter

Painted with Hannie's FFT brush

Photo texture seems unchanged

Color Correction and some healing and cloning. More to do ...

Mhayes

Shadow, congratulations on finding a fun one to restore--NOT! Unfortunately some photos are kind of the pits, not in subject but in trying to color correct. I would have thought this one had a red cast that wasn't the original color, but this isn't water damage.

Basically I kept it pretty simple and was lucky to have a good gray point.

I wanted more contrast to the boy and cake and nothing I did seem to help. So I did another Curves Adjustment and this time I picked the "Squiggly" bar at the top and then went to areas I wanted darker and pulled the bar down.

The end result can be tweaked but the carpet not so much.

I think maybe the texture on your left will need a section close by copied and then put on a layer above and then a mask to conceal all and then brush in as needed.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Lyn, next time you use FFT create, make the canvas larger by adding a 1 or 2 inch gray border all around it.  (FFT does not work well on borders)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Hi Lyn, nothing to add just good luck with this one.. I'm sure you'll do a great job :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Hey Gang. You girls are the best. Thanks for your feedback and confidence in me.   ::)
Hannie, tried adding 20%, 1" and 2" with FFT - didn't seem to make a difference on this one. (Added that to my tip folder though!) Margie, appreciate your screen shots & thoughts.
What do you think of this.  Thoughts on the lighter areas of red carpet ... is the yellowish color damage or was that one of the colors in the shag? Boys face too bright?  Do you have a winning lottery ticket number?   ;D

JackR

Another thought on the FFT filter, is not always the red channel that will fix it, have in some instances green channel did the trick. Good luck on it...
The early bird gets the worm, but the SECOND mouse gets the cheese...

cheers...

Jack

Shadow