• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Is this restorable?

Started by seelcraft, October 01, 2016, 10:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seelcraft

To me, the greatest pleasure in a restoration is when details leap out of a yellow, dingy photo when it is color-corrected.
This is not one of those time: I think this photo is beyond help. What do you think?
Here's what I've squeezed out so far.

Original:

Color corrected:

Pushed the contrast, dodged and burned to bring out detail:

Reconstructed some of the architecture while avoiding trying to puzzle out the faces:

Is this restorable?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

Doug
Chemists have solutions!

Shadow

Doug,

Wow! Looks like you have taken the photo quite a ways.

Hope some of the really experienced folks will be able to give you the answers you seek.

Good luck!

Shadow

Hi Doug,
Cudos to you take on such a difficult image!
Lyn

Lynnya

Wow.. you are brave.. you've gotton a lot out of it so far.  I agree with shadow that it's a little girl on the right.. my sense tells me that might be a woman standing in the back.. although.. when I look at it again it has a man's body language arms resting on the wall?? or is that my imagination...
Looking forward to seeing where you get!
Lynn
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Beth

I see it as a man with his arms folded and leaning on the rail. I think he's wearing a dark shirt and light colored suspenders.  And I see a curly headed little girl on the far right.

kiska

Person on right: man, suspenders, arms folded. Beard, probably damage, tho? Maybe grandpa?

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Shadow

Kiska,

You're right.  Would you share what you did to get to that screen shot?

Thanks for posting this Doug.

Lyn

kiska

I'm afraid I trashed it. I remember levels, each channel; curves, 2 adjustment layers, one for black and one for white. Stamp visible then Image>Adjustments>shadow/highlights. Play around with the curves and Shadow/Highlights. Best this ole brain can do.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Lynnya

Looks like he might have a hat on...
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Kiska,

Thank you. Forgot all about the mighty Shadow/Highlights.

Have any of you had any success with the HDR toning (PS/Adjustments) to help with challenging images?

Have a good one.

Lyn