• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Margie's Gallery image

Started by Shadow, September 29, 2016, 01:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Hi All,

Below are the original and my WIP screen shots. Hopefully I have neutralized all the color casts. Please let me know what you see and any areas where there may be more color work to do.

Many thanks!

Lyn

Shadow

Oh my ... forgot all about the black white adjustment layer. Went back and ran it and wala! So much better now.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks.
Lyn

Lynnya

Hi Lyn, Looks like you're off to a great start :)  how did you color correct.. what method (I"m into new methods this week).. Looks like the highlights are a tad brighter than the original...I only mention it cos it's something I was doing a lot of and noticed it. Looking forward to seeing the finished product :up:

OOOOHHHH look! I've become a Jnr member!! how cool is that! and I love your avatar Lyn...
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for your feedback. Let me know if this makes sense.

I set 4 color sample points. I used Curves and ALT + Drag to find white and black points. Then I also chose the boy's suit for a roughly middle grey point and also set a point on the bkgd.

With the Curves panel open, choose the hand pointing icon top lt and Shift + Ctrl + Click each numbered color point to mark them on the curve. Then I went through each channel to set the white to 244 and black to 15. 126 for the grey and I neutralized the bkgd.

When I went back I found the correction left a blue shift over the man's head and in the lower right. There was also some yellow and other stuff going on that I initially used a Hue/Sat for that you can see in my first post. Correcting one thing lead to another and then I remembered the Black White Adj Layer so I ditched everything but the Curves adj and added the Black White Adj and used the High contrast red filter. It corrected all the color casts the Curves brought out.

I will double check all the values again after I address the glare on the top part of the image.

Look forward to your thoughts and if you or any one else has ideas or suggestions ... please, I welcome ALL!!

And now, Shadow said it's time for my stroll :))  Glad you liked my avatar.

Lyn

Mhayes

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for posting your workflow! You last one as a B/W looks and now you can work on the damage. Great start!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Below is my wip with damage cleanup. Made use of the Healing tools & clone stamp & some dodge/burn. Does the boy's jacket look OK? I welcome your feedback, thoughts, suggestions .... winning lottery numbers ...   ::) 

Beth

His jacket looks great!  Good job!

Mhayes

I agree his jacket looks great! Now we have our go to person with stripes.  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

What's a good way to start the day you ask?
Why, a good cup of coffee and very nice feedback on the OPR forum!

Thanks Beth and Margie. I was unsure what the morning would hold when I reviewed my work. I did luck out with the stripes. Way easier than those dreaded plaids!

Have a fab Friday!

Lyn

lurch

<C>

Mhayes

Lurch has a point and I think Lyn's version is better on the faces on the highlights. There is still some as shown on the original, but more subtle.

You have passed stripes, and now we will send you some stripes.  >:D

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Beth

The shine existed in the original. I'm still learning here. Are we supposed to remove something that was there and is not part of the damage?

Shadow

Margie ... you are a hoot! Glad I passed on the stripes.

Beth ... I'm with you. I understood that we were to restore but essentially not retouch. (with a few exceptions approved by distributors) So far I have trusted my patient distributors to let me know what they want and expect.

I am constantly learning. Have to get a notebook like Tori suggested so I can keep u. (Great tip Tori!)

Have a good weekend all.

Lyn

Lynnya

Good morning Lyn :)

What a beautiful job on the family congrats :up: I agree with you on the retouch thing but I think it's the conversion into black and white which makes the faces really silvery...in the original the browner softer tones sort of toned down the highlights a tad. I get desperate at the end sometimes and just put a new layer and fill it with a soft tone and then take the opacity down to very very low... sometimes that just softens it a bit.  My African American young man went too dark and contrasty and that actually seemed to work on him. Beautiful work and hi to Shadow :)
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Beth

I hope you don't mind Lyn but I played with your photo a little. Y'all are going to get tired of hearing my voice :P  but here's a video showing what I did using the Shadows/Highlights adjustments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLXXyeK-mjw&feature=youtu.be

And here's the result of what I did.