• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Margie's Gallery

Started by Lynnya, September 25, 2016, 08:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi all, I'm just starting work on my image of this lovely young man from Margie's gallery.  I am always reticent of posting my images in the forum.. I never think they are good enough lol...anyway here goes and hopefully I'll get and give some feedback as I think this is a really good idea to improve our work.
Here is the original and next to it my color correction.  I did a threshold black point and then did a separate threshold white point as I find my white points always come out too white even tho I've scaled down the numbers.. then I did a neutral grey point. I didn't like the color so I went in again and did levels adjustment in reds greens and blues separately and came up with this end result.. I'll probably tone it down later but would like feedback on this start.
Thanks and good luck all  :up:
I desaturated the reds and yellows from the background and cloned the damage out. I added a thin layer of blue photo filter -  I then added noise of 3 and pixelate - Mosaic 3 just to the background area. For the jacket and shirt I desaturated again the reds and yellows.. I'll probably end up adding a little yellow back in to the jacket at the end..
Next I'll start on the damage to the face hair and neck.
original
color correct
working on the jacket

yes I'm struggling with the color on this one.. this is what I'm ending up with.. comments appreciated.

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

Lynn, thanks so much for being the first and also for sharing your workflow. If there anyway to have you photo show up within your post instead of having to follow a link? I see you are on Smugmug and since I'm not familiar with it; don't know the answer.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Yeah, you did it. When you have a chance, post the original as well as WIP. You can go to your first post and on the the upr right side you will see the choice: "Modify." That will let you add to your post.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Here's the original. I just right clicked on the image in smugmug, copied the image location, then replied to this message and clicked on the "insert image" icon in the Post Reply menu and pasted the image location:

Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Lynnya

Thanks Tori, just a mention, my gallery in Smugmug is a private gallery, only people with the link (like here) can see it... didn't want anyone to think it was public viewing.

I think I have the hang of posting an image now :up:

Mhayes

Lynn, you have done quite a bit in a very short time. I'm not sure what software you are using, but I'm on Photoshop CS 3 which is not the latest but the tools should match most later additions. The one thing I do first is either use a Levels or Curves Adjustment. If I do Levels, I go to each of the 3 channels and pull the sliders in so that there is no clipping. I can then follow that with Curves, and often I am lazy and just click the "Auto" button. In this case I came out about the same with just doing the Curves alone. I like your results, but it looks like a lot of work trying to get the colors the way you want. Here is an example of just doing the Curves Adjustment. Also, I played with his sleeve on your right and really, really rough. The colors have migrated over and you no longer see the definition between his arm and the rest of his suit.

Very nice work, and thanks for putting your work out there to be critiqued.

A quick down and dirty, but mainly to show a difference in the color correction.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Yes it's better.. I think I was a bit too brisk with my levels adjustment... I'll have another go at the color tomorrow  :)

Is this any better... I'm likely to lose it and end up with a mess... that happens to me sometimes ;D

If anyone can correct the color and let me know what you did that would be great.  I followed Margie's flow but of course now I'm starting from a different color point..It was a bit dark and contrasty from the first correction I realize that now.
One more thing... so, Margie are you saying that you start with levels adjustment? not threshold black and white point? and then curves.. I'm trying that on my next restore..

Better?? worse??

Mhayes

Hi Lynn,

Most of the time, I just use an auto Curves Adjustment and if it works fine. However, there are times that I will do a Levels Adjustment so I can move  each of the sliders individually as I want to see where the clipping occurs. In your photo I did the Levels first and then the Curves and found I could get to the save place with just the Curves. I don't use the threshold for black and white, because depending on your setting for black and white, the change is too extreme. Also, what if there is no pure black/white in the photo? I like finding the gray point (see Handbook) and using the middle dropper in Curves to adjust the gray point. I do this only in cases where there is more damage and I need more help than Levels or Curves If you haven't look at the "Technique Handbook" on your right (when logged in) you will see where color color correction is covered and more on the use of finding the gray point.

Kiska, will use a combination of both Levels and Curves and also tweak either of the two.

I like what you have done on this last one.  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Thanks Margie, I set my black and white points way down from the norm by default.. 255 is way too bright for me and black is too black.. I still find threshold with the blacks is ok and the grays but white is a problem..

With the last one of the boy I tried to tone him down to look more like the original.. I put a new layer of white over him and turned the opacity way down to like 15% or so, and then put a deep yellow photo filter and toned that down as well.. I think it made him look better.
Thanks for taking time to help me out with some hints and suggestions... puts more in my tool kit :up:
Lynn

Mhayes

My pleasure Lynn as I learn as well.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]