• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Back from West Virginia

Started by Mhayes, September 19, 2016, 12:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Thought you might like to see some of the photos taken during the West Virginia copy run in Charleston and Richwood. This is the first time that we have done back-to-back copy runs.  The first stop was at the Kanawha County Library in Charleston. This building was originally a post office and the outside is really grand. In fact it is a draw for tourist that come--specifically two of our own: Nathan Miller on your left and Robert McLaughlin on your right.

One of the local volunteers of the Kanawha County Friends of the library was Jan Turner helping process in a family.

John McLaughlin at one of the two copy stands. John was part of the original group in 2006 when OPR helped those hit by Hurricane Katrina. He also along with Jan manned a copy stand for the 10 year Hurricane Katrina Anniversary in Metairie, LA last year.

And during the quiet times, some drinks provided by Jessica Chambers with Megan Simpson on her right. Jessica was one of the first local volunteers asking how she could help. Besides helping on both the Charleston and Richwood run, she was busy getting the word out to the public.

We couldn't ask for better press coverage than what we got in WV. The journalists at the Charleston Gazette gave us plenty of coverage before and during our time in Charleston. While waiting to interview a lady that brought her photos in, she was overheard replying about how she heard about us. She remarked:" A notice in The Charleston Gazette." Below is the high-fives from Lisa Bernheim (video) and Lori Kersey (reporter).

Last but not least is Elizabeth Fraser, Head of Reference Services Kanawha County Library, who not only got us approved, but worked tirelessly to get press releases out. Everyone at the library was so supportive.

On the next post will be photos at Richwood, WV.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

After we finished up Friday, we packed up and traveled to Summersville to spend the night. We would have stayed in Richwood but it was a much smaller town and fewer places to stay. On the Interstate it was 88 miles and and about an hour and half drive. John McLaughlin and his wife Pat drove from near Atlanta, GA, and Nathan Miller drove from Fredericksburg, VA. That made for a lot of driving for them, but it saved having to get a rental car. I owed a huge thanks to Robert and Pat as they drove me back from Summersville to Charleston so that I could catch my flight home.

Charleston was a neat town and the little shops very unique, but Richwood had a different feel and you started to get into more mountainous terrain. This was especially true from Summersville to Richwood. At one point John pulled off at a scenic point so that we could stretch our legs and enjoy the scenery.

This next photo is of John and his wife Patricia and will let it speak for itself.

The Richwood library is beautiful inside and out and some how managed only to have a small part of the library get flooded.

This shot of the flood surrounding the library.

Nathan Miller is one our newest volunteers and he went all out to help. I was a little overwhelmed on where to consider having a copy run in WV and since Nathan lives in Fredericksburg, VA I thought he might have a better idea. He did and he sent me attachments with layouts of WV and the areas hardest hit. He also sent a list of potential libraries we might be able to have a copy run and those that had been destroyed. He also made contact with the librarians and on his way to Charleston, stop to pick up the meeting room key so that we could open Sunday. The library was closed that day. Nathan built his own copy stand and then a week or so before the run he was rear ended and his car was in the garage and he made the trip in a rental. Below is Nathan showing a lady how we work.

This next picture is of Robert and Nathan with Mary V in-between. Mary maybe short in stature, but her personality is larger than life. She used to be a teacher and later retired and substituted. Her story of the flood gave me chills as she told of how the rains came down nonstop and not only was the river rising but water was gushing down from the mountains as well. As water was surrounding her and her husband's house, something else happened just as terrifying. A logging company's logs were now in motion and they were hitting her house as the current took them. She said she felt like she was in a straight jacket and could do nothing. Luckily they were rescued by boat and her house still stands. She brought a bottle of a mixture of ingredients that she used to get rid of the mold in the house. She gave the bottle to Robert and the list of ingredients. The photos you see on the table were ones she brought in that were stuck together. Nathan worked at pulling them apart as they were still damp while Bob was copying her photos--or rather her husband's high school book photos. The photos on the table were allowed to dry and she picked them up the next day. The white you see around the photos were damage and mold that Nathan wiped off with a Clorox wipes. The emulsion in those areas were already gone, so we weren't destroying her photos.

Below is Robin Bartlett, Library Director of the Richwood Library, on your left and on the right is her assistant Karen Workman. A big round of thanks to Robin for helping us have our copy run there.

Last but not least was the mascot of The Richwood Library. She started from humble beginnings, as in she was dumped at the library as a kitten. She rose up though the ranks or some would wise crack that she stayed for the food. Her name is Pumpkin and she stole my heart.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Beth

Wonderful pictures. Thank you so much for sharing!

Mhayes

You're welcome Beth, and hope you can make one of our copy runs in the future.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Great report and photos Margie, thanks for sharing them!  It is so nice to see the faces that go with the names and Pumpkin was a nice bonus.  :)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

Great report and photos Margie :loveit:  Wish we had been there with you! 
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Shadow

Margie,

Great report That Pumpkin was a cutie. 

Look forward to your next report.

Lyn

Tori803

Thanks Margie! Beautiful country, hope it recovers quickly.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

philbach

Thanks Margie.  A nice report.  OPR is an organization that makes the world a little better
Phil
phil

Marydh