• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Is she holding something?

Started by Marydh, September 02, 2016, 04:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marydh

Trying to figure out if the lady is holding anything...like a baby?  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Mhayes

Hi Mary,

At first I thought maybe she was holding something too, perhaps a doll, but the more I look at it I think it is damage. Her arm looks to be down and not bent. Because this is such an old photo, it wouldn't help if she was as there would be nothing to reference it to. I would go ahead and treat it as damage.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

I believe she is holding a tiny baby.  The baby is resting on her right arm and hand.  Her left arm is bent up from the elbow and her hand is resting on the baby's chest holding a crease of the blanket.
On the other hand I could be completely wrong!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Marydh

Well that sure clears things up.  :0)
Thanks for the opinions. Maybe I can tell more when I really start working on that area.
Looks to me that her left arm area is too long for it to be bent at the elbow but on the
other hand I could be completely wrong!

Mary

Candice

Clears things up like a puddle after a hard rain.  :) 
Candice

Mhayes

Hannie, I think you are probably right and I will try to see if the owner knows. Almost like looking at a cloud and seeing a shape.  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

So glad to be of help!   >:D

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Marydh

Thanks Margie.  Let me know what you find out.  I know if it were my picture it would be important to me...either way.
Mary

Mhayes

Mary, I couldn't reach her by phone today, so will try tomorrow. I will also send her an email with the photo enclosed.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Marydh

Thanks Margie.  I'll save that part for last.
Mary

Mhayes

Hi Mary,

I reached the owner by email and here is her reply:

QuoteWow, thank you so much.

Yes, the woman is holding a baby named Leo who was born in March of 1908 which dates the photo to summer or late summer 1908.

The man is the same as the one in the individual photo with a mustache. They are my great-grandparents and their 4 children.  My grandmother is the child on the left however the face is hard to make out.

Looking at the original.  In pretty bad shape.  It was a postcard photo.   Now central Louisiana is living through all of this again!

Thank you so much for working on these photos!

Best wishes,
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Marydh

Oh Margie thank you!  It's so interesting to know some of the background of a photo.
Of course now I have to try to "make up" a baby....and yes her grandmother's face has been quite a challenge for me.
But still, it is so much fun to work on.

Mary

Candice

Candice

Pat

What a wonderful reply!  It's so easy to to overlook the importance of keeping written records of the contents of photos for future generations  :loveit:

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author