• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Would appreciate suggestions on bringin out more color

Started by claycrowell1956, August 29, 2016, 12:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claycrowell1956

I would like some suggestions on where to go with this photo. I boosted the Vibrance and Saturation some to try to bring out what little color information that exist. As you can see, it added revealed a green tint in some locations of the photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139910849@N08/28684135803/in/dateposted-public/

kiska

I think the color is too far gone. Try black/white?
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

battleaxe

To get rid of the green cast you could take a sample of the green to a layer invert the color and use a mask to recolour the green spots.... or try curves or hue saturations with masks to do the same thing

claycrowell1956

I thought about the black and white. Didn't want to abandon the color too quick but there just doesn't seem to be much there.

I do want to try to deal with the green first just for practice before I abandon the color.

I also tried several variations of channels to attempt to eliminate the magenta edge using a pattern and the healing brush but couldn't find one that totally eliminated it.

claycrowell1956

Well, I had an unfortunate set of circumstances. I'm normally very good about backing up my work but got lazy and hadn't backed up for a month. Went on vacation and came back to a perfect storm (or maybe Apollo 13).

1. My main computer went down so I was unable to backup when I got back from vacation.
2. The main hard drive I keep my photos on (not a RAID, is now) started having serious issues. I couldn't recover my edits on this file. It's a shame because I had made good progress.
3. One of the drives on my backup RAID started getting errors. Glad it was a RAID.

So, I'm starting over on this image. It's a challenging image and I'm not ready to give up on it. I did decide to go with B&W because there just wasn't enough color to recover.

Thanks for your patience.

Shadow

Sorry about your perfect storm! Good luck with your restore. Look forward to seeing your pics.

Lynnya

Hi Clay.. I took a print screen of your image and tried everything from levels to color balance to blur average and invert.. nothing worked.. best one out of them all was hue/sat but it wasn't what you'd like. Good luck with this one, look forward to seeing your WIP and final  :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

I agree with Kiska and going B/W. Some of the color I'm seeing looks more like it could have been transferred. Trying to do part color and then guessing on the other really won't work.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

I can only get some colour in it.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

JackR

I tried it as well...got color, but didn't like it...only other option I see, outside of B&W is hand coloring it, and that would be a job...good luck with it...
The early bird gets the worm, but the SECOND mouse gets the cheese...

cheers...

Jack

Lynnya

Yes to everyone's suggestion.. sad to see the color go but it's a toughie... I did add a multiply blend mode which brought out some nice color but nice color cast as well :crazy:

claycrowell1956

Ok, I have finally gotten everything back together. Sorry it's been so long. First recovering the edits I lost and then the holidays. I feel I'm finally back to a point where I would appreciate some feedback. The right side gave me fits trying to eliminate the damage yet retain some realistic texture. It doesn't look great to me but it looks better than it did.

CarterM_25_23a_11x14_before_and_after by Clay Crowell, on Flickr

Lynnya

It looks really nice to me... it's a tiny bit dark on my screen and there is a little distracting shading on my right of the background edge but other than that I think it's beautiful  :up:

Hannie

Hi Clay,

I lost a nearly finished restore a couple of times myself so I feel for you!
You stuck at it and brought the photo back to life, great job!

Like Lynn I also see a little background distractions and I believe that the levels slider can also come in a tiny bit more:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

Hi Clay, Way to stick with it! Very nice! The suggestions Lynn and Hannie passed along will take it over the top for sure. Thanks for sharing.