• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Ellicott City, MD

Started by Joework1, August 03, 2016, 04:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joework1

Hi, all,

I wanted to bring to OPR's attention the recent flash flood that devastated downtown Ellicott City, MD, last Saturday, July 30, and killed two people. Ellicott City is an historic town that was built in the 1800s around a mill. Before the flood, the main street was a charming mix of shops and restaurants. I am located about ½ hour south of Ellicott City and have spent a lot of time up there.

Here's one link from CNN documenting the devastation: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/31/us/maryland-flooding/index.html

I realize we're still working on Katrina + 10 and West Virginia will soon be coming in. However, I was wondering if we can do something to help out. I would like to reach out to the people in Ellicott City, but am not sure where to begin. Should it come to a photo run, I would be able to put up at least one person in my home to help defray costs (as long as they can deal with two friendly cats). I have an Epson Perfection V750 Pro flatbed scanner.

Joe Sokolosky

Mhayes

Joe,

I have seen on the news the devastator that hit Maryland from the flooding. Thanks for offering your help and right now it is important that people know how to take care of their photos damaged by the flooding. A lot of photos can be saved this way.

Unfortunately we are not only working on the Katrina +10, but we really haven't even finished up the photos from Houston that came afterwards. That is why we are running a promotion of a free OPR pen to encourage more volunteers to help get our backlog down. West Virginia was picked because of the wide spread damage and it hit before Maryland. It would be nice if we could have a copy run at both places, but because of the backlog and money situation we won't at this time be able to travel to Maryland.

Right now we are at the half way point on our fundraising for the WV trip. With what we have now we are barely going to skim by and I will be the only one of the inner team going because of the cost. We have 4 volunteers from out of state either flying or driving in at their own expense. Right now we can help with their lodging but that is about it. Usually the last day of a copy run, we buy all the volunteers who worked on the copy their lunch--right now we can't afford to do that. For those who have already chipped in--THANK YOU! Joe, thank you for offering and your concern about defraying costs.

A scanner is okay in some situations, but a camera on a copy stand is the better choice. At a copy run a scanner could not keep up with the volume, size of prints, glass on prints, etc. Also, a lot of the photos will be dirty. Plus, because some of the prints are crinkled, a scanner will cause some reflection as the light passes over.

Right now the only option we can offer is that those who have damaged photos could contact us and we would approve for them to be sent to Mike and Pat Sluder to digitally copy with their copy stands. It would mean that people would have to mail in their photos with postage to/back. The cost of printing of the restored prints would be free. Feel free to contact me for more information: [email protected].

Thanks and wish we could offer you more.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Joework1

Thanks, Margie. I know we're stretched thin, but wanted at least to have some awareness of the situation here.

Mhayes

Joe. It doesn't mean we can't those in Maryland, it just means that instead of us coming there, they will need to send their photos (make contact first) to us.  Let me know if there is anything I can help you. We do have brochures and on the homepage before last when you go to the blog, you will see instruction on how to take care of damaged photos. Let me know if you would like me to email the PDF to you.

Thanks.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]