• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

My first time with Moderate

Started by levb, June 07, 2016, 01:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

levb

This is the first time I'm working on a Moderate-level photo. This is my progress so far.

Hannie

Hi Lev,

Thanks for posting your work, you are going in the right direction. 
One small pick I have, it is always a good idea to do color correction first and then the repairs.
The "Technique Handbook" link here on the left side of the page will show you the steps on how to do that.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Kdcintx

Yes, it helps to color correct first. You're doing a great job. Keep up the good work.

Mhayes

Hi Lev,

Not to belabor the point, but always color correct first. If you don't the repairs you make later may not match. That could very well happen in this photo as the background is not gray, but a light cream or white as is the top to the china cabinet (?) behind her. Her tights are also white and will appear that way when you color correct. There is a top to the cabinet and looks like a funny type of dog figurine on top. The rest is hard to define, but I would keep the outline and repair the cracks and leave it as the owners will know what it is. Also leave the red glass on top as that shows it more of a cabinet than a picture frame. On the cabinet itself is a ring that is used to open the door--kept it in the photo.

Least you think I can't find anything good--wrong!  :) You did a great job repairing the damage. Look forward to your progress.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

I'd like to put in a plug for anyone using a reasonably recent version of Photoshop to use non-destructive editing techniques where possible - primarily by using adjustment layers for all the channel and color work. If, in addition, you do all your cloning on a separate layer (I like to have more than one - Room, Clothes and People, typically) it makes it possible to change colors, contrast and damage restoration independently.

To make this work, your "pixel" layers - the original image and cloning layer(s) need to be below all the adjustment layers and your cloning/healing brush needs to be set to "Current & below". In that way it will not pick up any of the color adjustments of the layers above, but will pick up pixels from layers below.
Jo Ann

levb

Thanks to everyone. Somehow I thought that in this case, because there's no contrast at all, I'd take care of the color correction later...

Margie, thanks for your feedback. Where is the dog figurine? Inside the cabinet? Or on top, to the left of the red glass? Where is the ring? Is it the 4 light lines in the middle?

That brown spot on the wall - should I keep it? It looks very much like dirt.

Mhayes

Lev, I have put arrows to mark where the dog figurine and the the ring. The brown spot is dirt or damage. What I see as a figurine is kind of like looking at the clouds and seeing shapes where maybe someone else doesn't. Whatever it is, it looks like there is a shadow of it on the wall. A little bit of a shadow on the top will give it more dimension.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

levb

kiska

You picked a toughie. Her skin looks too yellow. It's best to start with a basic levels/curves adjustment. I would define the legs a little. And the petticoat looks like a leg. Maybe bring out its pink color?

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro