• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

More photos available

Started by Tori803, May 15, 2016, 11:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tori803

If you haven't checked the galleries recently, more photos are available now. They will be scooped up quickly, so take a look now!
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Thanks Tori. For a a lot of our newcomers we get inquiries--especially after the last newsletter--about why there are so few photos to restore and are we about out. The answer is no. We never put all our photos out at one time because we would never get individual families done. Instead it would be like offering a box of chocolates and some hard candy out and then seeing all the favorite pieces picked over and the others just sitting there. It is important for us to put a number of family photos out and when those are done, more will be added. So if you go to the galleries and are discouraged, cheer up and wait until more are added to your liking and ability. You might even want to try a photo that you are not sure you can do, and then post your progress on the Forum for help. Worse case scenario, you can return that photo and pick another.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Quote from: Mhayes on May 17, 2016, 03:53:33 PM
Thanks Tori. For a a lot of our newcomers we get inquiries--especially after the last newsletter--about why there are so few photos to restore and are we about out. The answer is no. We never put all our photos out at one time because we would never get individual families done. Instead it would be like offering a box of chocolates and some hard candy out and then seeing all the favorite pieces picked over and the others just sitting there. It is important for us to put a number of family photos out and when those are done, more will be added. So if you go to the galleries and are discouraged, cheer up and wait until more are added to your liking and ability. You might even want to try a photo that you are not sure you can do, and then post your progress on the Forum for help. Worse case scenario, you can return that photo and pick another.

Margie

Excellent explanation, Margie.
Candice

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: Mhayes on May 17, 2016, 03:53:33 PM
...We never put all our photos out at one time because we would never get individual families done....

So does that mean that if one or two images from a batch don't get restored, the family will not get the rest back?

I ask because I worked on half a dozen very badly damaged images from one family's set. There are two remaining and they've been there for a while. I don't really want to tackle either of the two remaining, but I hate to think of all that other work just sitting there. Should I try and negotiate with the distributor about cropping some areas I think can't be effectively restored so the other two can be done?
Jo Ann

Mhayes

Yes, that may mean that the photo is considered a "non-restore" and does not go back, or later we have a challenge where it is put out for everyone to try their hand at it. Sometimes we allow a crop, but the problem is when you have a small photo and you crop it down but keep the same dimension, then the image suffers. Or you crop it down to such a small crop with a different dimensions and we have to have it printed on a regular size stock and have a lot of white surrounding it. I would rather the distributor makes the decision because QC is not very happy when comparing (that procedure happens on all photos) a photo that is no longer the same size as the original. Let me know what gallery and what family and I will take a look at them. If a crop is acceptable, then we will have the original crop to compare later with the restored version.

Really appreciate your wanting the family to get all their photos. At copy runs we do explain that some of their photos maybe too far gone to save, but we will try.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

The two remaining ones are AllisonP_24_02_4_75x4_75.jpg and  AllisonP_24_07_4_75x4_75.jpg

In both cases there are parts of people showing and the rest totally lost in the damage on the edges. With other photos in this family's set, I reconstructed rooms based on other pictures and in one case (with Bambi's OK) omitted two people from a group shot as all we had were their feet!

In the first photo, that room isn't in any of the other images I worked on (but I can make something up) and there's no clue about the person whose arms are showing. Also, his legs and arms are in front of the young man, so taking out the headless man means reconstructing the young man (which I'm OK to do as it's just clothes).
Jo Ann

Mhayes

I agree and will do something either Saturday or Sunday as I have company over. Thanks!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Jsnover,

I have gone back and taken the original and cropped to the same dimensions. You mentioned on AllisonP_24_02 "there's no clue about the person whose arms are showing." I'm afraid you are wrong, but you will need to go to the blue channel to see him. He is not all there, but enough that he should be added in. There are tutorials with the Forum on how to work with the blue channel. On the second one with the girls; I did a tighter crop still to original dimensions and the blue channel was of no help with the leg on your right. I would say leave it in and yes, it looks funny, but so does the body parts on the other side. If you want, try to take them out, but if your restore doesn't work out to look natural and the eyes are drawn to the change--it won't work either.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]