• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Not sure which direction to go on this one.

Started by susanccr, April 20, 2016, 10:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susanccr

Here's the original image (click on either image to enlarge):

Here's where I am now - I figure I'm about halfway there.

I've done some basic reconstruction and color correcting (more to be done), but I'm stumped on the issue of the far right side (to the right of the chuppah post).  I have tried every trick in my arsenal and there just isn't enough information to make more than an educated guess at to what's there.  I have two choices:  (1) I can clone in a background based on the the context or (2) I can crop the photo.  My inclination is option 1 and clone in a wall and floor, but I'd love some suggestions on other options.....

Hannie

Great job so far Susan!
A crop is not necessary, your inclination to clone the background based on context sounds good.  I would first try to darken the area some with a Curves layer and a circular radial and then repair.
Color correction is difficult on this one, seems like the reds are hard to adjust.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

susanccr

Yeah, I think the color correction might have to be done in layers - the right side of the picture has a much strong red color cast than the left - but that's OK.  I'll get there.  My bigger problem is the blue haze all over the place.  I've tried everything I know to get rid of it but I think I'm going to have to break down and use the clone stamp.   That will be a lot of work but I think it might be the only way.

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: susanccr on April 22, 2016, 04:01:42 AM
Yeah, I think the color correction might have to be done in layers - the right side of the picture has a much strong red color cast than the left - but that's OK.  I'll get there.  My bigger problem is the blue haze all over the place.  I've tried everything I know to get rid of it but I think I'm going to have to break down and use the clone stamp.   That will be a lot of work but I think it might be the only way.

For the blue haze in places other than the far right, you might try adding a layer set to color blend mode. Select a color from somewhere else that's what you want and paint with a very soft brush on the color layer. Where things are too light as well as the wrong color, I will often make a group for the color blend layer plus a curves layer set to multiply with a layer mask that's black. You can then paint in dark grays on the mask to darken up the areas that are too light and blue. If there are some too dark and the wrong color, another curves layer set to screen blend mode will do the opposite and lighten
Jo Ann

susanccr

Here's where I am with it.  I think doing more might be coming close to the line of going too far but I've spent enough time on it now that I'd love to get other eyes on it.

Feedback gratefully received.  :)

Hannie

Susan you have done a great job, I'm sure your restore looks better than the original.  Wouldn't change a thing.

:up2:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Susan, I agree! What a beautiful photo and now back to its former glory.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]