• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Is this good? And any advice?

Started by levb, April 16, 2016, 08:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

levb

Hello,

I'm a beginner. This is what I got:

This is my progress so far:

Any comments? What should I do in the bottom left corner? Gradient?
Is that light thing in the baby's hair really there, or should I remove it?

Hannie

Hi Lev, welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on your first OPR restore, I like how careful you are in your work.

For the curtain repair you can use the Clone stamp with fairly high opacity and line up the pattern in different places.

The spot in the boys hair I'm sure is damage?
Not sure about the lower left corner.  I would use the Patch tool and adjust the darkness of that patch with an adjustment layer.  Sometimes cloning can help here too.
Not sure how you use the Gradient here?

I can tell you did a color correction already but you may add a Levels Adjustment layer and use the Grey dropper on the baby's sweater in different places until you get a less yellow result.

Great job so far!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

levb

What should I do about Santa's hand?

Hannie

Hi Lev,

This is what I did but there other ways to tackle Santa's hand.

First I used a Curves layer and pushed up the brightness a fair amount.  Then a gradient (white to black) over the bottom right corner of the Curve's layer mask.
Next a Dodge/Burn layer to brighten the cuff.  If you search the forum you will find many ways to use Dodge/Burn layers.
Next on a new layer you can use the Clone stamp to copy some of the good cuff to the damaged one.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

levb

Hi Hannie,

Thanks but I meant the actual hand. Is that a black glove?

Hannie

Hi Lev, my guess is that you are right and it is a black glove.  Should make it easier than if it were a real hand?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

I'm kinda thinking Santa wouldn't wear black gloves?
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

I agree with Kiska and think it would look kind of creepy with a black glove. Most Santa's don't wear gloves as it would be kind of awkward picking up a child--unless this Santa is a "germ freak." I think those are hands and would be his normal skin color. I think the black is ink that has migrated down from water damage. What Santa does have is a black belt and you will also notice that part of his shadow on your right looks like the ink had migrated down on to the white roll around his waist.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]