• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Comments please...

Started by Brian N, February 05, 2016, 07:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian N

Please comment on the restore.  My concern is the background may look dirty especially towards the top.  It seemed that way in the original but not sure if that is considered damage.  Anyway, it looks dirty to me in the after as well.  Just want to know what others think.  Appreciate any comments.

Thanks from snowy Long Island.  Brian.

kiska

It's really best to do the basic levels and curves first. I know the shirt is white.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Nice repairs Brian, I agree with Kiska about the color of the shirt.

The "dirty" area in the upper background, if you zoom in to the area around her hair you will find some dark staining that you can clean up and that will brighten up the background.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Brian N

Thanks for the comments. Fresh pair of eyes always seems to help identify casts. So here is what I'll call final??

Mhayes

Brian,

I tried to download your image from PhotoBucket, but didn't have much luck. While there is an improvement, there is noticeable red cast in both her face and hair. Also, her shirt seems to have a color cast. My guess is this what happens when you try to color correct afterwards instead of before.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Brian N

Margie,

I'll have to start from scratch.  I use a calibrated display and it doesn't show a cast until I upload it.  The LAB numbers across the shirt are pretty neutral. 

Brian

Mhayes

Brian,

What shows on the Web may not show true. If in doubt upload to your distributor and ask for their feedback. Having said that, it will always be in your best interest to color correct first before doing anything else.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

Sometimes color gets messed up if the photo you are working with does not have an assigned color profile.  To check that in photoshop go to Edit/Color Settings and check. For web use sRGB seems to be the one to use.
phil

kiska

Our printer, DigMyPics, uses sRGB, therefore we perform all restoration work in sRGB.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Brian N

I'd like to think things are looking better now.  Comments?

Thanks,
Brian

Hannie

Brian, it look great!
Did you make any changes to your monitor settings?

:up2:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Brian N

What I ended up doing is using proof setup to adjust things using sRGB which makes me think something might not be working as far as my calibration hardware.  Something I'm going to have to dig into.  Thanks for the comments and support.

Brian

Candice

Candice