• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Where did the Right Arm go?

Started by philbach, January 23, 2016, 07:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbach

After downloading from the gallery and opening the file many times new problems arise.   Enclosed is the original and a black and white conversion using the blue channel.  The problem is that the right forearm is not to be seen.  I suspect its behind this lady but would like some advice before proceeding.  However maybe she is pointing towards the camera like an example I posted Thanks. 

phil

Hannie

Hi Phil.

I think that your first inkling was right and that the lower part of the arm is behind the lady.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

philbach

phil

lurch

I beg to differ. It's somewhat like the reference photo, except that she's holding something, perhaps barbells(?). Ladies of that era dressed up to exercise particularly if they were demonstrating something.

OTOH, Phil is to be congratulated on taking this one on. It's a bear.

<C>

Tori803

I could see the possibility of the arm being in front, possibly bent. If she's holding something it's more likely to be a fan. Perhaps the owner might know.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

kiska

I vote behind her back. Do you see the mysterious face???

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

philbach

Yes the face is mysterious.  Well I believe I will do behind the back.  She is turned some to her left and her hand behind might create symmetry with her raised left arm. 
phil

philbach

Well I placed her arm behind the back and at present I am deciding what to do about the background.  The question is what to do about it.  On the right is a portion of an object that looks like a carved wicker chair of some kind.   Should I leave it in and place a floor under it or just pretend it isn't there.

phil

Tori803

I would leave the object in the back on the right. It's fascinating and is likely meaningful to the family.
Tori

Mhayes

Since we have no way of knowing what she was holding or the position of the arm; I vote behind her back or as you have it now. However, her arm needs to be a lot slimmer. The other thing that bothered me is that her head now looks like it doesn't belong and I think part of the problem is not having shadowing on the face. Towards your left and the right side of her face should have more shadows instead of making the whole face the same with no depth. I wonder if the other hand was playing with her hair?

Margie

P.S. Don't you recognize the mysterious head? It's E.T.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

Thanks, Tori and Margie.  At this stage I thought I would place a background and finish up on the subject.  I guess that object on the right side of the photo is a chair of some kind.  I think her hair is a "bun" style of some kind. 
phil

Tori803

Hi Phil,

This is such a tough restore! Yes, her hair is in a bun, like this (but without the loose strands):

But I don't think the background object is a chair. The damage in the lower part may look like an angle, but I think the object is upright, perhaps a statue or pillar. Perhaps you can restore the detail in the carving where you can see it, and hide the rest in shadow.

Tori
Tori

philbach

Thanks Tori.  The background is a struggle.  That will be tomorrow's project.  I did get sort of set on the object being a chair and I will look at it differently.   It would be nice to know where  the ground plane is.   I don't think she is leaning on the "pillar" Oh well.  I usually work on these in the morning when I am fresh. 
phil

Hannie

Great job on the hair Phil.

Margie's suggestion about her head looking a little odd may also be because the ruffle around the neck can be extended a tiny bit.  I duplicated the Original photo over your work and added some fabric around her neck an on her left shoulder.  Also I extended her right jaw line some, hope this helps.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

philbach

Hi Hannie.  It does.  You also shaded the right side of her face and narrowed her right forearm too.  Thanks.
phil