• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Help please!

Started by Galem, October 24, 2015, 02:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galem

I'm working on something above my skill level. It is badly washed out with just a suggestion of a face. The photo was probably originally black and white with the color coming from chemical reactions to water I think. So there isn't additional info in the channels. I've tried different adjustments to find something to work with but can't. The uniform is borrowed, typical, and okay I think. I'm keeping it a little vague due to the fact that the face may end up pretty vague. I can see where the eyes should go and I think they are almond shaped. I can find one nostril and would only assume that it is a strong nose from the last name, but that is guess work. The lips may be closed with no teeth showing, and they may be full. I don't know what is going on with the chin, whether it is strong, wide or cleft. The ear could be generic, I think they are smallish and don't stick out. How do I give this person a face without giving him the wrong face?

Gayle (Galem)
Gayle Madden

Mhayes

Gayle,

This is pretty close to being a non-restore and I say that because I'm even questioning whether the finished restore will look like the same person. From my perspective, the sailor has a full smile with teeth showing. Also his eyes do not look the same as your restore and look listless. This damaged photo is so bad, that perhaps you see what you think is there. Let's see what other think as I think this one is really messed up. Kudos to you for talking it on.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

I think it's a "goner". Way too much guess work would be involved...
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Gayle, you have done so much work already but I have to agree with Margie and Kiska.  If you look at the original his eyes are wide open and he also has a big smile with teeth showing.  I did a levels and curves correction but there is just so much detail missing that I would not know how to repair without losing what he really looks like....

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Galem

Thank you all. Now that you mention the teeth, I see teeth instead of a upper lip. I agree the eyes should be livelier. So with all your comments I will do a better presentation. But I agree this won't be restoring elements that are there, but rather, adding unknown and guessed elements. So it is unlikely to look like the young man.
As a new volunteer it is good to know there may be unrecoverable photos.
Gayle (Galem)
Gayle Madden

Candice

I'll share this, too.  I'm not so sure I'd agree with the smile, but that's subjective.  Looks like one to have fun with for sure!

Candice

Galem

Thanks Klassylady! I'll try it both ways.
Gayle Madden

Candice

Quote from: Galem on October 25, 2015, 02:19:09 PM
Thanks Klassylady! I'll try it both ways.
You're welcome to call me Candice.
Candice