• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Reflections of Metairie and Houston Copy Runs

Started by Mhayes, October 13, 2015, 05:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

I know this is a little late, but better late than never. Thought you would like to hear a little more about how are copy runs in Metairie and Houston went. It was a surprise on the turnout as we expected a large turnout for Houston and a small one for Metairie. As it turned out, it was a reversed. Jan had remarked that she didn't think that many people would still have their photos 10 years later and not many would show up. Chris Smith, the program director at the Parrish Library in Metairie, thought otherwise.  We ended up having 104 families and 1, 245 photos brought in. Houston had 15 families and 270 photos for a grand total of 1,515 photos for us to restore.

Both of our locations were held at libraries and a big thank you to Chris Smith at the Jefferson Parish Library in Metairie (same library that OPR had a copy run in 2006) and Vanessa Gempis at Morris Frank Library in Houston. Also, a big thank you to Gabriella (Gabby) Nissen, Creative Director for Local Houston Magazine, who worked tirelessly to get the word out.

To say we were swamped would be the understatement as there were only three of us on Friday (Me, Jan, and Robert McLaughlin) and Saturday Robert's wife Pam joined us. Even before the library open, there were 27 people in line with their photos. Robert had drove from Atlanta, GA to help out and had bought a copy stand. That meant one person (except at the beginning and when there was a break) and two on a copy stand. We didn't break for lunch, but ate at our stations while we worked. In order to help people in the order they came in, we numbered permission contact sheets and then called each one by number. One funny thing did happen and that was I had a sample copy sheet that is used to show volunteers how to fill out the form. There was one on the table and I proceeded to call the name out--not seeing the "Sample" stamped on it. Finally a dim bulb flickered and I realized the reason "Richard Cummings" did not come forward is because he didn't exist.

Photo: Jan Neil

Some very old and interesting photos came in.

Jan's (right) and Robt's copy stands

More on the next post.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

What was really interesting was to see two women who had been at our copy run in Metairie in 2006. I was able to persuade Diane Migliore to an interview with  reporter Shelby Hartman with The Times Picayune. Here is the link to the story. http://www.nola.com/arts/index.ssf/2015/07/operation_photo_rescue.html

And I got to meet Diane in person.

Photo: Margie Hayes

Another woman that we met was Julie Condy. No only did she write us a nice thank you note, but she brought us all New Orleans cook book.

Photos: Margie Hayes

We were treated to real southern hospitality with food and gifts. At times it got hard to keep something of an order at the greeting table, and then a woman who had brought her photos in would call out the numbers. We also received a couple of donations. By the evening we were all tired and the first night we went to a little restaurant next to our hotel and the food was heavenly. On our last night we all went out to eat and nothing beats New Orleans food. Below, clockwise: Me, Jan, Robert, and Pam.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Now on to Houston the weekend following and I will never plan back-to-back copy runs. Houston was a lot easier because there was less people and because Gabby had got a group of volunteers for both days. Also, Jay Culp, OPR volunteer from Dallas helped, and Gary Masters who had seen the article in the paper and wanted to check us out. Gary was fantastic! He stayed and helped, bought us supplies, and on the last day bought everyone's dinner (that was not suppose to happen). Here are the other volunteers that helped: Muriel Christensen, Diane Griffen Gregory, Pat Goodwin, Claire Poole Auchter Poole, Wendy Levine, Scot Ovelholser, Taggart Sorenssen, Maximillian Burkhalter, and Gloria Sanchez. I wish we could have had them in Metairie.

We had a nice room in the library, but it was much smaller and due to cuts we were limited on our hours of operation: Fri. 1-4:30 and Sat. 10-4:30. Below shows the set up and in the middle with the hat is Gary and sorry I don't have one of his face.

Photo: Gabriella Nissen

This next one is of Jay Culp and Darnell Walker with Channel 13 reporter in Houston doing a story. Unfortunately it aired, but no links were on their website.

Channel 13 Houston, TX reporter Darnell Walker.

Jan Neil should be very worn out as she worked both copy runs. On this one Jan (Robert had also suggested) decided it would help speed things up if she had tapes(comes in a roll) with the measurements stuck to the copy board.

And Gabriella Nissen at her copy stand with Gary Masters in the background.

Now we now have plenty of photos to restore.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

Wonderful report Margie and great pictures! :up2:

It is truly amazing that so many people were still hanging onto photos damaged ten years ago and came to the Metairie Copy run in the hopes of getting them restored.  As we struggle to restore heavily damage photos we can know how very much our work is valued and be encouraged to press on. :loveit: 

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Tori803

Thanks Margie for the report, and thanks to all the wonderful volunteers for their efforts and their spirit!
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Hannie

Margie, thanks so much for the great report and photos!
I loved reading the report, it almost feels like I was there as well.  Whoever took the snaps did a beautiful job.

Thankfully, so many people kept their damaged photos for so many years.  Now these mementos can be restored and returned to their owners.  Thank you volunteers!

(would have loved to have been there when you called out for "Richard Cummings", I would not have let you forget about it  ;))

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mike S.

Thank you Margie for the work to put the copy runs together, working the copy runs and putting together this report.  Thank you also to Jan and all the volunteers.  What a great team.

Mike
Mike S.

Mhayes

Thanks Everyone! The copy runs have always been a team effort and those who contribute to OPR have allowed us to make it this long--10 years in January.

Hannie, you would for sure not let me forget, especially since I called out the name more than once. Plus, I was a little ticked that Mr. Cummings had filled out the information below the line that said not to.  :-[

Copy runs are expensive to pull off and with more and more disasters happening, we are thinking of other ways to respond. Mike and Pat have volunteered to have a copy room set up in their garage and people (after getting permission) can send their damaged photos with a return postage paid.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Great to see the work that goes on behind the scenes, so to speak, though the step involving the grunge machine has been avoided as usual.

Thanks to all including "Mr Cummings", over here ancient, mature, elderly, frazzled, demented, senior citizens acting that way attract the men in white coats. ;)

Athol

Hannie

Athol, you will be very pleased to know that I managed to get my hands on evidence of use of the muckerupper machine.  It was well hidden for obvious reasons, notice anything familiar looking in this image?  Hopefully now my name is finally cleared of any unjust accusations made in the past.   :halo:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Athol, I'm afraid your hand and brain did not communicate as I know your words struck through were in error. You meant to leave as the final word: demented? One way to deter the men in white coats is to don one yourself. However, after admitting to calling for Mr. Cummings I must guard my own condition.  ;)

As to Hannie, disciplinary measures will be forthcoming as the organization's secrets are to remain secret. Plus, anyone can see my head is pasted because otherwise I could not function at that angle.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Wow Hannie :crazy:,

I have to tell you that hiding under the bed doesn't work. I will always have kind memories of you. Good luck.

Athol

schen

Thanks Margie for the detailed report of the trips and thank you, Jan and the volunteers for the great work you did. One thing for sure about copy run is that you never know how many will show up.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6