• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hurricane Katrina 10 Year Anniversary

Started by Mhayes, August 26, 2015, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

The time has finally got here and looking forward to heading to the gulf on the 10 Year Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. It I had any doubts that there are still people with damage photos 10 years ago that need restoring, this email from Chris at the Parrish Library removed them.

QuoteOh my—

I have been promoting this event on our facebook page. Today we had more than 600 hits, including 24 people who shared.

This means we are going to have a crowd Friday and Saturday.

chris
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Be safe and bring home lots of work for the rest of us!
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Trying to recover (and get ready for the next run in Houston) from a very successful run that was close to overwhelming because of the turnout. The first day the three of us: Jan Neil, Robert McLaughlin, and myself handled a little over 50 families, and on the next day Pat (Robert's wife) join us and again another 50 + came. We had 104 families and took in 1, 245+  photos. Normally we like to have a team of between 10 to 15 volunteers. The last day we had to cut off because of the library needing to close and the fact that we couldn't finish in time. For those who got left out, we offered that they mail with a tracking number their photos to us. Thanks to the nice write up by  Bruce Boudreaux of The Times-Picayune: http://blog.nola.com/eastjefferson/2015/09/old_metairie_photo_restoration.html Also, a huge thanks to Chris Smith, program director at The Jefferson Public Library, for all his support in promoting us and also his help during the copy run. More photos in the coming days.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

A great big thank you Margie and to Jan, Robert and Pat as well.  You did so much work with so few volunteers, you must have been worn out by the end of the day(s)!
It is surprising (or maybe not) that so many Katrina victims saved their damaged photos.  Like the lady that kept her flood damaged photos in her freezer for 10(!) years.  So good to read that her efforts paid off and now she will have some of her treasured photos restored by OPR.

A good write up in the The Times-Picayune, hopefully the mentioning of OPR's diminished funds will be good for donations.   :)

Little time to rest, Houston is waiting next.  I hope you will get some extra help there.

:loveit:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Thanks Hannie! Jan and I both were surprised with the huge turnout, but Chris Smith, the program director at the library, was not. At least in Houston we will have more local help.

:hug:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Egad, 1245 and more to come!!!!!!

Glad to hear that both survived and had such a successful run in spite of the stress. Hope Huston is easier, did the backpackers accommodation work out OK. ;)

Athol

Mike S.

Margie,

You, Jan, Robert and Pat deserve a medal for all the hard work and the stress you worked under.

Mike
Mike S.

Pat

Quote from: Mhayes on September 01, 2015, 12:34:38 PM
We had 104 families and took in 1, 245+  photos. Normally we like to have a team of between 10 to 15 volunteers. The last day we had to cut off because of the library needing to close and the fact that we couldn't finish in time. For those who got left out, we offered that they mail with a tracking number their photos to us.

A very nice expression of appreciation was included with photos mailed in from Marilyn Perkins:

"Thank you so much for your group's kindness and cooperation in helping us in New Orleans to restore our photos which in turn restores our memories and lives a little more each day."

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author