• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Team challenge #3

Started by Jonas.Wendorf, August 17, 2015, 07:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas.Wendorf

Hi everyone,

progress on the first team challenge is still steady, but so nobody gets bored, we've decided to upload two new challenges for ya :)!

We look foward to your WIPs :)!

Edit: When I had to work an extremely noisy image the free Ximagic Denoiser was a really great help to reduce the noise while retaining the texture as best as possible.
Best regards,
Jonas

G3User

Hi Jonas,

Both images look challenging but I have been diverted by your mention of Ximage for noise reduction. I am using CS2 and Noiseware has been my main NR software though I am restricted to v4.2 by CS2.
I did the best I could with Noiseware, it required manual tweaking and then tried to beat the result with Ximage but really didn't get any worthwhile results. The limited amount of tutorial information didn't help and the time it takes to show a result were a bit frustrating
I will have another attempt over the weekend and post an update

Athol

G3User

So far I have corrected(?) the colour and run Noiseware plus Polaroid dust and scratches a number of times.
The balancing act has been to minimize loss of detail while avoiding the artifacts (worms?) in the floor and roof areas.
The noise reduction is less effective near edges, particularly noticeable around his pack but should be easy to clean up manually. Started cleaning up his face but more to do and I will probably mask him out to add some contrast between him and the background.

Athol

Candice

Could be worse.  lol

Candice

Hannie

Wow, great results!  Colors are good too, perhaps the skin tone could be a little warmer? (mine is a little too red)
Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

I suspect that a framed copy titled "Through Rain on the Window" would receive credit for artistic creativity ;)

Thanks Hannie, will do a final trim of colour as you suggest.

Athol

G3User

A wet day so pressed on. After tidying his uniform I darkened it a small amount for contrast, lightened his face and adjusted skin tone. I added noise to the darker areas of the background to mask the defects that resulted from the noise reduction.

Think that is it but time for some other eyes.

Athol

kiska

Great work on the noise! His right cheek area looks a bit off. The color of it looks like his cheek. I THINK it's background. I filled in with some of the darker colors.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

Nice work everyone as the noise on this one was over the top. Kiska, that helped.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Good call Kiska and evening up his beard around his mouth looks much better

Athol

G3User

With Kiska's improvements to his face

Athol

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Thought you would like hearing from Ted, the paratrooper in the photo.

QuoteDear Margie:

I got the pic today and am super pleased. They printed out on photo paper just fine. Thank you a million. Let me tell you the story of "The Paratrooper."

I have this "Bucket List" and wanted to make one more military static-line jump before I kicked out. In my early twenties I was a US Army Green Beret and bullet-proof. I did the whole Vietnam combat thing and survived.

At our Special Forces National Convention in 2011, I had a chance to get on a plane to do one more military static-line jump. I was 66 yrs old and still without fear. I did it. Limped off the drop zone (at 66 if you don't limp off the drop zone, you ain't shit!) Anyway, I did it and was exilerated to the max.

Since I can't pay you, who and where do I make a donation to your group?
BEST REGARDS AND THANK YOU, THANK YOU AGAIN

TED ELLISON
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User