• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Team challenge #2

Started by Jonas.Wendorf, August 17, 2015, 07:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas.Wendorf

Hi everyone,

I was quite impressed with your work on the first team challenge so far :)

That's why we now have two more challenges that might or might not be a bit more accessible ;)

(Click on the original for the full-res version)

As always, feel free to upload your full-res WIPs here so everyone can give it a try and help improve :)!
Best regards,
Jonas

Hannie

Now what?  ::)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Memory_Restorer

Well, I was able to kind of recreate the guys face by mirroring and painting, along with the tie.  But I've never found a good way to fix these kind of whitish stains.  If someone else knows how, they should take a crack at it.....  And tell us how they do it! 

G3User

Because of the variation in the amount of damage, the only way I have found is to use the burn tool set to midtones, mid hardness and 30-40%. What does help is to add a curve layer over the top and increase the contrast of the blacks. Leave it on while progressively burning, it is easy then to see when you are approaching the level you are trying to match.
Still using the curve layer you can also burn by the methods below, forgotten where I got it from. Having the "burn" information on a layer that you can adjust up or down is sometimes useful.

Athol

Burn and Dodge with Better Control
Create an empty layer above what you're working on. Set it to soft mode. Lower opacity to about 20%, you can increase or decrease later.
Set your color picker to the default black/white. Black = burn. White = dodge.
Paint with a soft brush, medium opacity with whichever color is applicable.
OR
Fill the new layer with 50% grey and set opacity to 80% and Blend to Soft Light.  Then paint black or white with a soft brush, undo by painting with grey. Opacity can be adjusted as necessary
OR
I'd like to add another method that's almost the same yet slightly different:
Make two layers above the original, filling both with 50% grey and setting both to Overlay (or Soft Light, if you prefer).  As, I'm sure, most of us already know, 50% grey has very little, if any, effect on the underlying image in Overlay mode.
Use the Dodge tool on one layer and the Burn tool on the other - this way you can adjust the opacity of the highlights and shadows independantly from one another and, by using Dodge and Burn, as opposed to black and white, the changes can be even more subtle.

Mhayes

This one is coming along nicely. Athol, thanks for explaining the variations to use on this one. I do similar to #2 and #3, but yet a little different. I make a 2nd layer by going up to the top menu and picking a new layer and for the mode I choose "Soft Light" (can also use overlay) and check the box for 50% grey and I leave the layer opacity at 100% because I will vary my opacity with my brush. I will use a soft brush and can vary the size by using one of these bracket keys [] to either make my brush smaller or larger. I will start out by setting my brush opacity low around 20-30% and if needed to be darker or lighter, then raise the opacity as I come back to brush again. This layer allows me to do similar to the dodge and burn tool, but I think more flexible and also on the same layer. I can easily switch between making the image darker or lighter, by hitting the shortcut key "X" and it will change the foreground to the opposite and also can change my opacity with each brush stroke. If I feel that I need to backup, I can go up to "history" and backup some steps.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Memory_Restorer

Thanks Atholl!  That was super helpful.  :)  Now I have a new addition to the tool belt! 

I ended up using the second method, because I hate trying to use tools at low opacity (or tools that "build up" over multiple strokes like the dodge tool).  Using multiple layers allows you to "build up" with more control.  It's great! 

Here's the results.  The method worked great for most of the photo, but the man in the front center got a little dark on me.  I think someone with more of an artist's eye will need to look at that, and maybe address the scary ghost-look of his face.  :P  I think I've reached the limit of my current skill on that.

To his left, I think the fellow with the missing hands will need a replacement from a stock photo, but I don't have the time to find one right at the moment.  XD  Maybe someone here will already have something on file! 

Mhayes

Memory Restorer, good job on part of this, but yes, on the center's man's face being too dark. One thing I want to discourage before this gets out of hand is replacing body parts. Yes, on the 1st challenge the owner was aware that we were taking some liberties with the photo and you did a great job. However, when the going gets tough, try to find a way to restore what is in the original if possible and not getting a replacement from stock photos. This photo can be worked with what is already there--the man's hands. It's great to pick up new ways to do things like Athol has shown, but there are other tools in the toolbox to use that will help you get to where you want to end up. One thing to use caution on the burn tool is that you do not want everything to be pitch black with no texture showing.

Thanks for posting your work and how you approach solving the problem.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Memory_Restorer

Good point.  This isn't something I would have attempted outside of this context, being outside of my skill set.  :) 

I'll be interested to see how others approach it, going forward! 

Hannie

Great tips, very helpful. 
Tried some of them to even out the suit, hands and front man's face.  A face did appear but the trouble is that it may not be the same face as the original.

I also placed a 50% gray layer (normal light) on top of all of my layers.  Filled it with 100% Gaussion noise (monochrome), then from the Filter dropdown menu choose Stylize -> Emboss of 135º, 3 pixels at 100%.  Now you can set the layer to Soft Light mode, add a hide all layer mask (black) and then with the white brush start painting over the fuzzy pebbles.  Adjust opacity to your liking.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, this looks great!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

What about something like this? I did this on the image you posted Hannie so maybe the original needs to be revisited

Great job with the pebbles Hannie, unfortunately those tools are not available in CS3  :'(

I still find the kink in the rail line distracting and even the RH boat seems to be going more uphill than it should. I suspect that the two lower parts of the photo had moved apart and without being corrected led to an overwide trouser leg.

Athol

Hannie

Great tweak Athol, thanks!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Big Improvement on this one! Looks good enough to go home?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

We just got an email from Margie and she wishes to share with all of you this lovely note that she received from the owner of the photo:

OMG Margie!!!!  I'm in awe!!!! I cannot believe what I am seeing!!!! OMG!!!! You guys ROCK!!!!  James will be speechless...I can't wait to print & frame a copy for the Martins...I am visiting with friends & telling them about you guys! I'll email you again later..... WOW !!!!!!!!!!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

What a wonderful note  :loveit:  Thank you for sharing it Hannie  :hug:
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author