• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Team challenge

Started by Jonas.Wendorf, July 27, 2015, 06:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas.Wendorf

Hi everyone,

as you know we're currently a bit short on images. However we got one particularly difficult image for you all to work on as a team challenge if you're interested!

Here's the original:

And a reference image:

(Click on the images for the full-res versions)

The original has only two pigtails, don't let that confuse you :).

Have fun and we look forward to your WIPs :hug:!

Edit: If you'd rather try your hands on a different challenge, we have now two more added for you :)! Have fun with them and don't forget to post your WIPs :hug:
Best regards,
Jonas

Hannie

Jonas, what a great idea to have nother  group project! 

What a challenge, I would not know how to start this one other than adding a monochrome adjustment layer to start with. 
How to rebuild this little girls face? 
I'm sure the owner would not want us to replace the original face with a cut and paste of the reference version...  ;)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

This will be a good photo to practice "painting" skills on since there's almost no original detail left  :-\
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

kiska

Good luck!
:up: :funny: :up: :funny: :D :D :D
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Jonas.Wendorf

Agreed :). This one deserves to be called a "challenge" ;)

But I know that some of our volunteers can work sheer miracles and maybe after the foundation has been layed it will get easier. As a team I think we might have a chance :)
Best regards,
Jonas

Hannie

Maybe a painstaking repair of facial features and an artistic paintjob of the rest?

After adding a monochrome layer and some levels and curves adjustment.  Then I tried some context aware healing on part of her face. How to go from here?

(above image is not full res)
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Nice start Hannie. There is one thing that bothers me about this photo (well more than one) and that is her left eye on your right. She is not crossed eyed and the way her eye is looking the other one should be looking off to the side too and it isn't.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Candice

G3User

I think the first thing is to find out who has been upsetting Jonas and caused him to seek revenge :knuppel:

Her eyes are certainly an issue, can't decide if the "V" is a split in the emulsion but one of her eyes has moved. Perhaps the emulsion for one eye is inverted.

Athol

Hannie

I think you are right Athol.

Furthermore I would like to add

HELP!!!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, fantastic start! Athol, much as I would like to let Jonas take heat for this one rather than me--I was the one who decided that you guys had been resting for too long and needed a challenge, and the real reason is that this picture means a lot to the little girl in this photo--47 years later.

Athol is right about the eyes as I think the water has caused the ink to migrate and distort. Hannie, and everyone attempting this one, make use of the reference photo. Yes, it is same resolution but a little smaller for the baby's face, but you can still use it with the help of the "Transform" tool. This will help with the nose and mouth.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, this is a really rough draft off of yours and it's like there is so much to work on; I don't know where to start. Her clothes will have to be mainly shading and I started to play with the other arm, but will not attempt to do the hand, but rather give the impression of it being in the fold of her dress.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Lovely skin, nose and shading Margie!

I think her "new" arm might be more to the side and less in our few?  If so, that would mean having to paint a completely new one (which I can't

I wonder what it would like if her mouth moved up higher ever so little, do you have it on a separate layer?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, I totally agree and was afraid mine wasn't looking right. I tried moving the mouth up and it doesn't look right and I'm now think the nose needs to come down and maybe a little larger. The problem is that the more I work on it the more the face ends up looking older. Think I will have to do several variations. The arm I agree and wish someway to hint that it is beside or somehow not try to bring in what isn't there. Thanks on the skin, I used it from the reference photo, transforming, and lots of layer masks and also changing the opacity.

Yes, about separate layers, but I may have merged visible. will check and post back.

Thanks,

Margie3
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Okay, I think Hannie is right about the mouth, but to do that I need to bring mouth and lower part of face up, because otherwise it will make her chin too long. Having a too long face makes the little girl look older as well. Got some other errands to run, but will play with this later.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]