• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Restoration Exchange

Started by Mhayes, May 06, 2015, 01:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Behind the scenes we have been trying to find ways to fill the void in the galleries until the next run. It was suggested that volunteers could upload photos of their own to be restored---for those that have more photos than they can handle.  ;) These photos would be uploaded to PhotoShelter and would need the volunteer's permission. They could be scanned, but need to be at 300 dpi resolution and cropped to correct size. Once restored they would be downloaded back to the volunteer. They would not be printed however. Shujen came up with the name of "restoration exchange." Let us know what you think and any other ideas for our down time.

Thanks,

Margie
[email protected]
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Not a bad idea.  It would be good practice.  I have several old pictures that I could share.
Candice

lurch

Not a bad idea at all. I also have several photos I could share.
<C>

Mhayes

That's great! When you upload put a note that it is for folder: Your Name. To make it easier I will email the permission sheet to you.

Signing off as severe storms coming in. Already have had tornadoes touch down north of here and under a watch until 2 am. I need more photos, but this isn't how I want to get them.  :(

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

:up:
Candice

Mhayes

Beautiful photos! Sorry I wasn't clearer on instructions. Since they are yours and by uploading them makes it clear you are giving permission, but if you had a friends then you would need it. On the permission sheet is a place for the name and also a place to sign giving OPR permission--this is what we use on copy runs. You have your photos in PhotoShelter, but they are in your private gallery and would require a password to download and there is also "Copyright Protected Image" across it. What I would like everyone to do is to treat these restores as if you were uploading back to us. We will see the folder and then put them in a gallery. Also, it would help if you would give all of them a last name and initial following--for the first name. Here is an example of how each photo would be labeled. Let say John Smith had 5 photos, 3 are 4x6 and 2 are 8 x10. All are at 300 dpi.

SmithJ_5_01_4x6.jpg
SmithJ_5_02_4x6.jpg
SmithJ_5_03-4x6.jpg
SmithJ_5-04_8x10jpg
SmithJ_5_05_8x10jpg

Could you upload again to the OPR side?

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

bjtx

The Restoration Exchange is a nice idea - volunteers helping each other.  I have a few to share.  I also have a friend who would likely have a few.  Would it be possible to help her?  (She is an older, working widow.)  I would do the scanning of the photos.

Betty
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Mhayes

Yes, Betty you are welcome to help your friend. Scanning is fine, but make sure it is just a scan and that the whistles and bells are turned off. What happens with scanners is that they want to correct the photo and then it makes it impossible to restore. Once in Joplin I compared a photo scanned by a Nikon scanner with Digital Ice turned on and one I had that was taken on a copy stand. Nikon makes a great scanner, but it color corrected and did dust and scratches which blurred the image. Had this not been a photo that was damaged by the elements, it might have been okay. In this case once it had the whistles and bells on--I couldn't correct.

For your friends photo, send me an email for the permission sheet and I will mail you the PDF file.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

Hi Margie, I just uploaded 10 photos for restoration.  Most of the subjects are of me or my family.
phil

Hannie

Thanks so much for your upload Phil, the photos are lovely!
The distributors will add them to their gallery real soon

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Phil, I agree your photos are beautiful! One thing that I didn't mention and that is sometimes computers get confused with one too many dots (decimals) in an extension. For example a photo with a size of 2.7 x 4.6.jpg is correct, but the computer sees the decimals and it may cause problems. Because of that we do an underscore in place of the decimal. That size now shown as: 2_7x4_6.jpg. You didn't know that and I can change it on your photos in PhotoShelter with no problem. Thanks again for your beautiful photos!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

Well it turns out that the photos weren't of a classical size so I put the decimal points in
phil

Mhayes

Phil, surely by now you have notice that a lot of the photos in the gallery are not the typical printed size--that is not the issue. We want the true size and it means anything over a whole number will be a decimal. However, we have PROBLEMS where the extension has the decimal point(s) followed by the dot JPG (JPEG) and suddenly some computers have a hiccup as they read what comes after the first dot, period, decimal  as some strange file it doesn't recognize. When that happen, the volunteer will be unable to open the file. Never mind the ending has the .jpg. So in order to still show the decimal equivalent we had to come up with something in its place--the underscore. This problem doesn't happen to everyone, but it does happen enough that we had to find a fix.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

This topic was posted some time ago, it explains about the file size issue and how to solve it:

http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2121.msg20897.html#msg20897
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

philbach

I uploaded 10 more photos to Margie today.
phil