• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Feedback on first image

Started by Galem, April 16, 2015, 04:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galem

I have received my first photo and am unsure of my results. The background was not too damaged and I don't believe I have a problem there. But I'm unable to pull out any detail in the face and hands of my figure. What I have done is pulled her out of the image and am applying blending modes on layers (after some minor 'blip' removals). Her shirt, for instance is a different blending mode from her skirt. I love her hands and face and I wish there was more I could get out of them. All suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Gayle Madden

Hannie

Gayle, you have done a beautiful job on your first OPR restore!
I wonder if the dark sky area on our right is damage and would need some smoothing out?
You have been very careful not to blow out the highlights, that is great but perhaps in this case the image could have some of it's brightness back?

:up2:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Galem

Hanni,
Thank you for your feedback. I think I posted this in the wrong spot, so I'm glad you found it. I also see a better way to embed graphics and will fix all that in the future. Regarding the background, I would like to argue for leaving it in the state you see it. Reason being, it appears to be an ocean backdrop scene with a sailing ship behind her and waves breaking over to the right. There could have been a moon or hazy sun to the right, or simply a glare. I did take that out. But I found a bit of romance that she probably opted for the ocean for her backdrop and didn't want to completely remove it. I can brighten her skirt back up and will do so. I'd like to leave her beautifully worn and possibly arthritic hands the same darkness as you see them, just so they show up in contrast as best they can. I so love her face, I think she may have round glasses on - wish there were more details to work with there. Anyhow, probably more than I need to see. I'll tweak from her and load it up for the quality folks. Thanks again,
Gayle
Gayle Madden

kiska

Is the dark band across her forehead damage?
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Galem

Hi, thanks for taking a look. I don't believe it is. This image is tiny, roughly 2 x 3. Detail was hard to pull out. But I loved staring into the photo and imagining what was there. Sometimes that can be a nice way to look at something instead of a crystal clear image of today.
I believe she has her thinning hair tied back tightly. I think she has round glasses. The round glasses hitting at her eyebrows may be what we are seeing. What do you think? This is my first image so I value your input. There wasn't a great deal of damage to the photo other than poor definition. Most of the damage was around the edges.
Thanks,
Gayle
Gayle Madden