• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

please help

Started by Sillymilly, March 26, 2015, 06:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sillymilly

hi there

ive been working on this one for quite some time and now ive noticed sth odd. ive never changed the size of the file, but when i wanted to safe the edited pic ive notived that the file is now a lot smaller. although the "setting" (dunno how its called in english PS) is still the same, the edited file is only 910 K  whereas the original is 1.5 MB. does anyone know what happend there? ive had slight changements in the size before, but not that big ones? could it be bc i had to do a lot of drawing? i used the brush for almost the whole face. or did i do sth wrong?
ive uploaded the pics to compare and as u see the measurements are still the same, just the size isnt. (my PS is in german but i think ull get the idea)

best wishes, sandra

Hannie

Hi Sandra,

Not sure what happened here, I don't have enough information on how you save your file. 
When you work on an OPR restore, you save your work in progress (WIP) as a PSD file.  This way the size does not decrease, it actually  gets larger as you add layers etc.
After completion you save the file as a JPG with compression level 10.  Then it will be smaller than the original.

Great restore, perhaps you can lighten the shadow below the baby's lip just a little?

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Sillymilly

hi hannie,
thanks for your quick response. i always save my WIP as a psd. once i wanted to save it as a jpg, i noticed the different size. i've even saved it with quality 12 but its still getting that small. do u think i gotta start all over again?  :wow: i've put the finished file as a new layer over the original one to check if my edited pic is smaller but it isnt. makes no sense to me at all.. :crazy:

oh and thanks for the input as far as the shades. ill do so!  :up2:

sandra

Hannie

Sandra, converting a PSD to JPG is always a lossy compression, JPG compression permanently eliminates some original image data.  Your file will then be a much smaller size (bytes) than the original file was, even at quality 12.
(JPG compression doesn't reduce the physical size or resolution of an image, it reduces detail)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Sillymilly

ah ok, thanks a lot for explaining. but shouldnt the final jpg have around the same bytes as the original jpg? at least this was like that with my previous restores, but maybe this was coincidence?

sandra

Hannie

If you have a stack of layers etc. in your Photoshop file, the final JPG may end up a similar size as the original but it can also end up smaller.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Sillymilly

uh, great to hear! such a relieve! was already afraid i messed up bigtime. thanks so much for explaining hannie!!

Mhayes

Sandra, Hannie's advice pretty much covers it, but let me add one other thing. Saving it at a compression level 10 is what a majority of our photos used to be, because that is a high quality and also saves at a small file size. Our recent copy runs the photos were saved at a 12 level when a few volunteers thought it helped in the quality. So it is possible that when you did a "Save As" you made it a 10. Personally I have no problem with a 10 as that is the compression level required by stock photo Almay.

Thanks for being diligent on quality.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

One thing I have noticed is that reducing noise can have a significant effect on file size. Not sure how you removed the yellow spots but a comparison of the before and after .jpg might be interesting

Athol

Tess (Tassie D)

I've also noticed, if you hit save frequently on a jpg, the file becomes incrementally smaller each time. So, it's better to work as a psd and do a save as .jpg, keeping the psd if more revisions are needed.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]