• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Forum Upgrade

Started by Mhayes, March 25, 2015, 10:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bambi

lurch

I've noticed that the site no longer goes to the most recent post. That means that one is forced to go to the beginning of a multi-paged post, then choose the last page, before reading the item of interest. That's a pain.
<C>

Candice

I do have a question.  Will there be a more direct Photoshelter link on the front page, as we come in?  Or am I missing it.  So far I've found it under the New Volunteer Welcome Center.

Candy
Candice

Tess (Tassie D)

Lurch, there is a link down the bottom of the front page for recent posts. http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php?action=recent

Candy, yes there will be links to Photoshelter once we find a suitable theme that is more suited to all access, pc, phones, tablets etc.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

jaytrumpet

Hi, I should start by saying that the OPR site and forum look great! This makeover has really improved the look of the organization, very slick!

That said, there are some things I really miss from the "old days." I am sure you have a laundry list of suggestions and additions to make, here's my 2¢:

1) I miss seeing recent posts on the forum page. I know there is a teeny, tiny link at the very bottom. I would like to see recent posts on the side like you had them or a bigger 'you can't miss it' link at the top of the page.

2) NAVIGATION! Once in the forum, I have not found a way to get back to the OPR home page:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/

3) I miss an obvious link to the galleries at Photoshelter:
http://opr.photoshelter.com/gallery-list

4) I miss an obvious link to the "upload to Photoshelter" page:
http://www.photoshelter.com/usr/img-upload-org

5) What happened to the galleries of work by OPR volunteers? I saw the portfolio page:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/portfolio/
It only has selected photographs, I couldn't find the complete before and after examples that all members have uploaded.

I hope that this stuff will be changed eventually.

Jay

Tess (Tassie D)

Jay it will all be changed. After this major upgrade there is a lot that is different. We have to learn all that before we make changes.

The gallery here will come back as will all the other links mentioned.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

jim262

Change can be good.   Looks Great!

G3User

Hi Tess,

The new layout looks good and you have managed to do the changeover without bringing everything to a halt so congratulations. The only issue I had was the need to replace a corrupt browser at the same time so when I first saw the site I thought I still had problems :-[
Good luck with all the bits and pieces to follow

Athol

lurch

That doesn't solve the main problem; you still have to go to the final page to choose the last post.
<C>

Tess (Tassie D)

I'm not understanding your problem Lurch? By bookmarking the recent posts link it will show the recent posts just like the old forum did. The only difference is the recent posts are not listed down the side.

We are working on all the features.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Lurch, it's hard to know how to solve "the main problem" when I haven't a clue as to what you are referring to?  Perhaps you could humor us by explaining what you mean? For starters: . . .You still have to go to the final page to choose the last post." If you go to Forum Home you can see under each heading what the last post is and if there are more than one click on the category and check from there.
I've noticed that the site no longer goes to the most recent post. That means that one is forced to go to the beginning of a multi-paged post, then choose the last page, before reading the item of interest. That's a pain.
Is this what you are referring to? Sorry for your pain, but ours has been greater.  ;)

Jay, for now a great way to get to the Forum or the Home Page is to make a folder for OPR on your Bookmarks. In that folder have one for the forum and one for the home page (get the link from a search and then bookmark). Then take that folder and have that on your toolbar and you can open and click on which ever one you want.

Athol, you have no idea how nerve racking the idea that we ran the risk of loosing all or part of the forum history.

There is a lot of work going on behind the scenes and it's great getting your feedback, but it is going to take some time. There were some real can of worms to work through and Tess and John spent a lot of time getting the Forum fixed. There were some behind the scenes problems that were happening to about three of us in the inner team that made it almost impossible to access the forum. That would be what I call a "main problem" and it did get solved, but it took a lot of hours trying to track down the problem.

Thanks for your feedback.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

To (hopefully) clarify, the main problem is that the site doesn't allow going to the last post in a multi-page thread. I don't know how to express it more clearly
Tess' link worked to get to the multi-page thread, but I, at least, don't have such a link. At least I didn't, but do now. Thanks, Tess and John.

Sorry for the trouble - just my fact-checking genes being activated, maybe prematurely. Had I mentioned I did fact-checking for the Mu-Soft book on Windows 2000. Yes, I'm that old.

BTW, kudos to all the work being done by Tess and John. I wouldn't take on the upgrade if my life depended on it! They've done a world of trouble-shooting just since my first post, and are continuing.
<C>

Tess (Tassie D)

Do you mean this feature Lurch? If you hover over the icon it will say "last post". Click it and it will take you to the last post in a thread.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]