• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Pixelated sepia image

Started by Lynnya, March 16, 2015, 11:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi everyone again. I am about to start work on a sepia toned old snapshot.. it is soooo pixelated.. are there any magic solutions I can apply before I start work on this image?? I'm seeing a lot of magic going on here so I thought there might be..  Blue channel shows most detail as usual but not much improvement.. it might just have to stay that way?? :) I really don't know any good way to add pixels.
Thanks in advance  :wnw:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

JackR

Hi Lynnya,

I just finished one like that...see my post -pixelated...- to see what I started with and and how it ended up...
Would be very helpful to post the pic...
...possibly one channel has the most problem, try looking the pic in LAB mode check the lightness channel if it is cleaner, there is a tut here shoes how to replace channels if you're not familiar...
The early bird gets the worm, but the SECOND mouse gets the cheese...

cheers...

Jack

Lynnya

Hi Jack thank you for reply. I did check the lab lightness channel and no go.. blue channel is best but oh boy.. I may have bitten off more than I can chew here  :wow: I'm working on it anyway for a bit to see if it's possible.

JackR

lol...I know, I thought the same a few times...you can see how badly mine was pixelated...it was accepted...just keep at it...there will be more suggestions I'm sure...good luck...cheers...

cheers...

Jack

Lynnya

thanks Jack lol... for some reason I can't find your image.. can you link me to it please? I'm more challenged than usual this morning  :D
[/URL]][/img]

this is the image...

JackR

it is from the same batch...I looked at that pic and decided against it...  ;D here's the thread with mine...
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,4610.0.html

cheers...

Jack

Lynnya

Yeah.. ha ha is right  :cool: but!!! I am now addicted to it... can't stop now.. we'll see what happens. It's a challenge for sure..

Mhayes

Hi Lynnya,

Yes, these photos are going to be a challenge and they happened to be ones sent to us from the Colorado flood and all of the photos were scanned in by FedEX and saved 5-6 photos per page and as a PDF. So this is not normally how we do things, but it's the best for this owner.

There is a chance these photos could be sepia, but I think it is more the case of flood water and age giving these photos a sepia look. There are other colors on this photo and that looks like from contamination. Better to make this a black/white. Another reason that makes these photos hard to work on is that they are very small and when you work on them at 100% or more they look even more pixelated on your monitor.

Below is what a B/W would look like with Curves Adjustment. Also, the black border on the side can be taken off.

And at 1/2 the size it doesn't look as bad on the screen and is going to be closer to what it will look printed at the 2 x 2 size.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Thanks Margie, that helps. I did do a curves on it and it did come out very similar to yours. I'll just do the best I can to bring back this moment in time. Can only do what you can do. I plan on not taking it too too far.. don't want it to look fake. I will take off the black border as you suggest.. it'll help with retouch. Here we go then  :up:

Mhayes

Sounds good Lynnya. Even though you won't be able to bring it back to the original--the restore is still going to be an improvement.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]