• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The Digital Dark Age

Started by Mhayes, March 03, 2015, 01:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSlMzirvsFc

And the article that went with it. http://petapixel.com/2015/02/17/print-your-photos-or-risk-losing-them-to-the-digital-dark-age-internet-pioneer-warns/

I would also like to add that your precious photos be printed on something other than an ink jet photo. The reason being that the ink will run on those photos and make them impossible to restore.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

I saw that earlier. Very interesting.

Bambi

Tess (Tassie D)

Very true. I have old floppy disks and beta tapes with nothing to see them with.  I'm getting a heap of photos printed and putting them in albums.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Every time we have a power outage I'm reminded how much we've come to rely on electronic media.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

jaoconnor

So I just have to put in my two cents here....

I feel very strongly about having older photos that have not been digital made digital. Lets start off with you have years of family history printed and your home is flooded or catches fire, now you are pretty much left with nothing.

If you had them made digital and lets say your siblings had a copy or your children had a copy or you have a safe deposit box or a fireproof safe. You can now have them printed.

It's like your digital photos now you get taken now with any camera or device. You save them onto a disc or external drives and the key word here is "saved" The same could happen to your computer as a flood or fire damage, where if you stored your images and your computer crashed before you made backups.

I can see if you had floppy and didn't get your images off but I bet you can find someplace out there that can still get them off. Just like old 8mm film, vhs tapes. As technology moves forward there always seems a way to more your photos and home movies forward also.

You just want to make sure you take whatever you have and get them put onto new media and have plenty of copies, share them with family members.

I do see a huge problem with cell phones, tablets ect. It has taken many many hours of me telling my kids "so you have a nice phone that takes nice pics, but you save them at the lowest resolution so that you can fit 1000 pics on the dang phone and then you never take them off or back them up"

I'm now getting them to use their camera on any device and to use the best settings then when full, they are removed, saved and what they want printed is printed and scrapbooked. Of course mom is the one extracting photos and saving them for them :) but it took me a long time and they just didn't get it until they started wanting pictures printed, and wondered why they couldn't have this nice picture  :wow:

I am probably confusing as heck but I do believe strongly in making digital copies at a great quality and then passing onto your children and sharing with family members.

Mhayes

I believe the key here is having more than one copy made of your most treasured images--both digital and print. The point he made is that technology advances and what works today may not be accessible years or decades later. We have restored photos that are over a 100 years old and we were able to restore digitally and print (the best of both worlds). I doubt a hundred years from now we will be using the same storage as we are now. From a historical standpoint it is nice to have it both ways: print and digital. For pictures of ole Spot, maybe not so important beyond his family.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

jaoconnor

Yes your exactly right! I always highly recommend when I'm making digital media for families is to definitely make sure you have more than one copy. Either by DVD or external hard drives. Your right with the future, look how far technology has came, I can't imagine it getting worse and not being able to grab your data from today's media. My siblings all have copies of my families history and there are copies made for each of my 3 children.

Tori803

I guess the lesson learned is not to rely on one technology. I've always thought of digital copies as the back-up system, not the primary system, for saving photos. But after reading this article I realized I've been relying on my tablet and Kindle for reading materials. Like photos, if there is some reference material you always want to have access to, you might include a hard copies in your list of resources!
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge