• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Help with faces,please

Started by Pearl, February 17, 2015, 06:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pearl

Hi,
I am working on there faces,any comments would be a big help.Thank You! :)

Pearl

Pearl

Hannie

Pearl, you did a great job on the faces already.  I checked out the 3 channels but there really is not much to gain there.  I believe the the girl on our left, her ear shows in front of her hair?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pearl

Hi,
I was trying to fill in the corners, since there is no information ,I am wondering if my solution is acceptable? Thanks :hug:

bjtx

Hi Pearl
You sure have done a lot of hard work.  In case, QA prefers not to use the background you have created, all or part of  the approach (posted below) might be considered.  I'm not sure if it is 100% right on, because, as you noted, a lot of information is missing. 

Perhaps Bambi could provide a reference photo which shows the background more clearly.  Possibly there is doorway, wall paper, a buffet & china cabinet (or secretary) behind the girls -- and not a fireplace.   Parts of the chairs, which are noticeable in the original photo, seem to resemble white wrought iron. 

The girl with the dark hair is the McLaughlin girl.  I have restored photos of her,  which I could post/provide, if you feel they might be helpful.

I've outlined what resembles hands on some of the girls, just in case you are interested. 
There are more items on the original table, which I didn't include  -- cards, cake , plates, etc.

I'm sure Hannie, Margie, Kiska, Bambi & others will provide accurate information for you.

Good luck figuring out the missing parts.

Betty

of course,  the below is only a very rough graphic/sketch of possibilities

(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Pearl

Hi,could you provide or postt than any related photos
Thanks

Bambi

Hi, Pearl:
I found three images that might help you with arms or faces for the blond girls and, surprisingly, reference for what might be the wallpaper in the background. In two of the reference photographs the girls are a little older and the pictures are BW, but they might help.

This is a very difficult restoration. I'm so glad you're willing to stick with it.  :wnw:

Bambi

Pearl

Pearl

I will work on small detail,other than that I do not know how to improve this photo more. :hug: :loveit:

Hannie

Pearl, it is a miracle that you brought this photo back to life!

A few little things that may need some tweeking:  the skin tone in all 4 girls you could improve/match a little more and other large repaired areas that are too sharp compared to the rest of the image can also be made to match a little more.  (Gaussion blur, noise used with layer mask)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Bambi

Hi, Pearl:

What an amazing job you've done on this picture! The only thing I wonder about is the objects you have added that were not in the original. I think you should just use the wallpaper to fill the wall. No fireplace in the reference picture and it might be better to leave the extra things off the table. those things make it a nice picture, but not the original.

Does anyone else have an opinion on that?

Bambi

bjtx

The OPR handbook has info regarding addition of articles which are not in the original
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,3247.0.html
but, does not state whether the orientation of the original border must be retained.
It appears that the original has a slanted & partial border.

We have been told not to crop images, but I don't recall any rules about retaining the original border. It would be helpful to know QA rules regarding borders.

betty

(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Mhayes

QuoteWe have been told not to crop images, but I don't recall any rules about retaining the original border. It would be helpful to know QA rules regarding borders.

betty

Good question Betty. If the image you receive has a border, then it is part of your photo and is a part of that photo as reflected in the extension's size. In this case the border was important because of the information on the side. When we come back from a copy run; the original photo includes part of the copy stand; we crop out the  copy stand and may or may not keep the photo's border. The border can be of help when color correcting when you know that it was white, even though now it is yellow with age or damage. Other times we crop out the border because it is either no help or there isn't much of it left. If a border comes with your photo, then you need to keep it. If there is a question that it needs to be cropped, then ask your distributor. Photos that are smaller than common print size will be printed on white paper and that will increase their existing border.

Do not change an image's size and that includes any borders unless asked to do so. Hope that helps.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Pearl,

What a beautiful job you have done on a really difficult restore. I agree with Bambi's and Hannie's suggestion about keeping with the original and not adding a fireplace and tweaking on skin tones.

:wnw:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]