• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

First Time Creating Hair - Thoughts?

Started by stepher668, January 28, 2015, 09:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stepher668

Hello All! This is my first time having to completely recreate hair. How did I do? Any suggestions on this or anything else?

Original

WIP

Thanks!

battleaxe

Hi!   The hair should have more than one highlight colour.  Here are some links to a couple sites that might help.

http://www.dazedgraphics.com/tutorials/skooldaze_hair_tutorial.htm

http://www.worth1000.com/tutorials/161271/tutorial

I usually  use a 2 px hard brush, select three colours, usually from the picture. Do the strands on separate layers, merge all the strands on one separate layer 1-2 px gaussian blur added.  Play with it till it looks natural.  Here is a sample

dle

Thanks very much for posting the links to the tutorials -- both are quite useful and produce nice results. I've bookmarked them for later reference.
Dave

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
-- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut (1953–1994)

Mhayes

Couple things catch my eye and are not hair related. The original had something that appeared to be a Garfield on the side and removing or keeping I'm okay with, but by doing a mirror image of the other side makes the boy's t-shirt look like an hour-glass. I think the t-shirt does not have much of a curve before it goes straight down. I would try to make the other side where the cat was a little different so it doesn't look so much of a mirror image.

The other thing that kept bothering me was the difference in size of your original and your WIP. Did you crop, because the first is 5.556 x 8.125 @ 72 dpi and the second is 4.167 x 6.08x @ 72 dpi.? Because the original was not a large photo (3.25 x 4.75) you could have posted at full resolution. Either way, both the before and after should be the same size.

Other than that, looking good and BA thanks for the links!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

stepher668

First, sorry for my delayed response.

Second, I've implemented the changes suggested.

Margie - to answer your question about the size difference, I must have accidentally done something when sizing the image down for posting. My Photoshop file and the original are the same size, and this latest draft should be the same proportions.

Anyway, please let me know what you think about the updated hair and shoulder.