• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Arm and face reconstruction

Started by MikeG, December 15, 2014, 06:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeG

Need some advice, help, hints on reconstructing the face and left arm. The original shows physical damage to the face area. The window in the background has a piece missing that contained a portion of the right side of the face. I attempted to reconstruct using a portion of the left side, flipping horizontal and using puppet warp, etc. The left arm appears to have physical damage so used a portion of the right arm, flipped and warped. The face came out better but the arm looks funny. Hoping someone with artistic talent can give me some pointers on drawing, painting, etc. so that I can make these parts look better.

Thanks, and hope all have a good holiday season.

Mike G.

Before

After

Mhayes

Hi Mike G, this is an old photo and a little blurry for detail in the face. I took the original and did a color correction and then changed it to a B/W adjustment layer, but still in RGB mode. Of the choices I had in B/W I chose "Maximum Black," because it looks like the highlights were going to be blown out. From there I did a "Merge Visible." I then went up to the top and the menu bar and selected new layer and when the option box came up I picked "Soft Light" (may also use overlay) mode and checked the box for: "Fill with Soft Light neutral color (50% gray). Once you do that you will see a gray layer at the top of your layers. Now you will be able to take a soft brush and at the top vary your opacity, try a low amount at first and then increase as you need. When you paint with your foreground white, you will make the photo lighter; when you paint with your foreground black you will make the photo darker. Hit your "X" key to switch back and forth quickly. The nice part about this layer is that it is non destructive to the layer below.

As to the arm, this is kind of a rough fix where I took the lasso tool and selected what I wanted from the other arm. I then did a Ctrl J to put it on its own layer and hit the V key to move and also transformed by flipping horizontal. Once in position, I did a Transform again and rotated and chose warp. Then I did a layer mask, conceal all and painted back in what I wanted. This will take some playing around and mine could have had the sleeve a little fuller. I also had his arm more straight and with the layer mask I didn't need a hand as the child's face obscured it.

I also added a leg as she looks funny with just one. As to the window, I would be tempted to ignore it.
Footnote: Remove the black mark around girl's nose--makes her look like she has mustache.

Wishing you a happy holiday season as well.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

MikeG

Margie,
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't think about the left leg of the girl as the little girl seemed to me to be hiding it. I'll see if I can find more detail in the original as to that part. Your treatment of the arm is better than mine, I'll work on that some more. This is one of those pictures that I classify as "images in gallery are worse than they appear".

Mike

Hannie

I think Mike may be right about the left leg of the girl, it seems to be hidden by the toddler walking across in front of her?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, you are right. I did not see the toddler at all, but just a blob of white in front. Good catch. Mike, just goes to show how another pair of eyes helps, unless their mine.  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]