• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Help with difficult restoration

Started by nasaman, October 29, 2014, 03:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nasaman

Below is the original:

and here is what I have so far:

Any ideas for making the restoration look better would be appreciated.  I could especially use help with the ladies hair and interpretation of the clothing under her jacket.

Mhayes

Nasaman, you have picked a really difficult one to work on and it is going to be slow going as you work a section at a time. I maybe wrong, but I have a feeling that you are not comfortable doing layer masks? If you are not, this photo will be almost impossible to restore. I tried doing a quick and dirty and it was anything but quick, but tried to give you a rough idea on how using available information and moving it about and with every layer I masked out. Her hair is kind of rough in and I tried by transforming to make the curls look different. Also be careful that you don't make her face look painted.

One thing as you work the background with the curtains and also with the ladies jacket, you want crisp edges.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

nasaman

Thanks for the advice.  I did use layer masks, but definitely need to get better at using them effectively. 

Mhayes

What I like about layer masks is that I can borrow from a part of the photo move it into place and then play with it--lots of times I will transform to change the orientation and then do a conceal all and paint back in the area I want. By doing this I have a better chance of having sharp lines where I need them compared to trying to clone. This one is hard, so work a small section at a time and then take a break to save your sanity. Keep posting your work.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Nasaman,

I wouldn't come near this photo with a ten foot pole, you are very brave!

I remember a "crispy curtain" tip by one of our volunteers years ago.
It went something like this:
- duplicate layer
- apply Motion Blur with angle -90 and distance 120 (or whatever looks good)
- add layer mask and invert (black)
- in layer mask use white and paint lightly over curtains

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Jonas.Wendorf

If I may add a small tip to Hannie's tip: If you copy your selection to a new layer first and check the protect transparency option (the little checkerboard icon on top of the layer stack), this will prevent blurring the surroundings into your selection (e.g. it will not blur the hair and face into it when you get too close).
Also it might be a good idea to look at some lighting simulators to see how the shadows on her face should probably look. I used to know some, but unfortunately it seems like the website is offline. I'll update this post if I can find an alternative :)

Edit: Found one (warning: NSFW): http://www.photoworkshop.com/pages/light_cage.html
Best regards,
Jonas

Hannie

Thanks Jonas, I didn't know about Lock Transparent Pixels, very handy tool!

I bookmarked the link to all the different light incidences, will be useful also.

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Thanks Jonas, will bookmark this also.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

Another OPR forum topic chocked full of wonderful tips and suggestions to be added to my bookmarks :loveit:  Thank you nasaman for sharing your work in progress and inviting input from our many talented volunteers.  All the best as you continue your work on this very difficult restore.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author