• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Foreground Marine

Started by philbach, October 29, 2014, 07:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbach

Currently I am enjoying this restore.  An interesting photo.  The marine in the right foreground has two objects on his left lapel.  One is probably a rifle medal but the one adjacent to it is a problem for me.  It sort of looks like an artillery medal of some kind but I can't find a similar medal on google.  Just wondering if anyone has an idea of what it is.  Thanks.

http://s90.photobucket.com/user/philbach/media/July2014%20Album/ToddM10_04_8x10_zps1982e3ea.jpg.html][/URL]

phil

Hannie

Candy, where are you?  :)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Quote from: Hannie on October 29, 2014, 08:01:27 AM
Candy, where are you?  :)

Hannie

You may find it before I do, but I'll look around.  Talking to one of my sources here is a reply from a Marine source: Looks like the Rifle Expert badge as viewed from a side angle.  Also suggested was this:  You could ask for them (the owner) to check a DD-214 for the shooting badges too, if possible.  Hope this helps.

Candice

philbach

Thanks, I think our marine is wearing the rifle expert medal to the left of this other object.  Perhaps I will just leave things as they are.  I'll post my restore in a few days for comment. 
phil

Candice

One down and one to go.  I'm asking.
Candice

Candice

All right Phil, this is the final word received.  Source is military.com, Marine Open Discussion Forum

Candice

Mhayes

Thanks Candice! I also have some Army photos in the hold you will enjoy.  >:D

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

Thanks Candice.  That will help me out a lot.  I didn't know about the Pistol Expert Badge.  I'll post the picture with the medals in a few days.
phil

Candice

Quote from: Mhayes on October 31, 2014, 01:13:09 PM
Thanks Candice! I also have some Army photos in the hold you will enjoy.  >:D

Margie
:up:
Candice

Candice

Quote from: philbach on October 31, 2014, 03:59:46 PM
Thanks Candice.  That will help me out a lot.  I didn't know about the Pistol Expert Badge.  I'll post the picture with the medals in a few days.

I'm glad to help, Phil. 
Candice

philbach

Well I have the medals on thanks to Candice.  I believe the medals should be located on the left front pocket flap.
phil

Pat

Phil take another look at the orientation of the fingers on his hand; looks like a thumb where the pinky should be?  Otherwise an outstanding restoration!

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

philbach

Ha, thanks Pat.  I wiggled my hand to replicate the position and got it backwards. 
phil

Candice

Phil, the placement is off of the medals.  I found an example for the placement of the medals and did an example. The rifle is directly over the crease, while the other is to the left of that.  I didn't shift the pocket but did try to get the perspective of the medals.  Hope this helps.

Candice

philbach

Thank you Candice.  Enclosed is the photo I used which has two medals instead of three on the pocket flap.  It looks like the "top" bar of the medals is directly along the top crease of the flap hinge.  I will move the two medals down a tad
phil