• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

the dots are everywhere!

Started by Typo, October 24, 2014, 08:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typo

I need a push it the right direction on how fix the photos dots that are everywhere. I figured that be the first step in tackling this photo.

I tried fft but must be missing something as things like her arm start disappearing and the water ripple lines just become rvrn more jagged. Maybe someone has great tutorial saved on a way to do this? Or maybe I'm going the wrong way entirely?

Thanks

Mike

Pat

Looks like maybe this was a newsprint rather than an actual photo?  The following link contains a suggestion made by OPR volunteer Lurch that worked very well on a newsprint of a bride. 

http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,3820.msg34407.html#msg34407

All the best,
Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Hannie

Hi Mike,

The damage would have to have some kind of pattern for FFT to work, the artifacts in this image seem to be random.

It may help to use Dust & Scratch filter on this image , masking the face.  The face can then be cleaned at pixel level.  (image below)

Now you are still left with a very blotchy image, it will take a fair amount of work to get rid of those (dodge/burn, heal, clone)!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Thanks for the link, Pat. Good topic to review.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Typo

Newspaper didn't cross my mind at all... explains why I had so much trouble!

Thanks for the ideas, definitely the push I needed to get going.

Pat

Good!  Let us know how it goes as this is how we all learn.  If you run into more questions posting your work in progress always helps as that gives us the best idea of what you're up against.

We'd love to see the end results too as long as you don't mind posting it once you're finished.

All the best,
Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Typo

Where I am tonight. Started with suggestions posted above, then made some minor tweaks on my own. Still have a long way to go.

Pat

Pat

Mhayes

I agree, but in some areas it has made the image look like it has been over sharpened. Look at Hannie's version and  compare the woman (especially her arm) and also her clothes. I know this is a WIP and it is coming along nicely, so don't want to be too critical.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Typo

today's wip

I lost my original wip - psd was corrupted somehow :(

Hannie

Typo, I lost my WIP more than once!  It is such a let down to have to start all over again after you spent many hours repairing...

So much detail is lost in this photo, I would spend a lot of time on the subject to try and repair her face and even out her arm so it doesn't look too blotchy.  The rest I would probably use a Dust and Scratch filter. 

It makes a big difference if the repairs are similar in grain to that of the rest of the photo.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Quote from: Hannie on November 19, 2014, 11:44:52 AM
Typo, I lost my WIP more than once!  It is such a let down to have to start all over again after you spent many hours repairing...
Hannie

Girl!  Isn't that the truth!! 
Candice

Typo

My psd is corrupt once again. I'm too frustrated to attempt a 3rd version, so it has been sent back.