• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Help, Problem with her forehead & upper lip

Started by david_gr, October 19, 2014, 06:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david_gr

I need some help with this one.  Here forehead and upper lip her are splotchy with damage.  I am at a loss on how to solve this.  I know the rest of the photo needs some work but my big problem is with her complexion.

Before

What I have now

I will appreciate any suggestions and help I can get with this. 

Mhayes

David, what a lovely photo and I see you have both head photos of her. This photo is really in pretty good shape. You are off to a good start on her head. You have done a good job on your left side by her eye and ear, but I would not make the shadows so wide from half way up her ear and the hair line. This appears to be a high key photo and I would not make her blouse such a sharp cutout. You need to continue to get rid of the spots.

On your WIP I would do more clean up on the spots with the healing brush. Next duplicate your layer and do a Filter>Blue>Gaussian Blur about 2.9 (you will need to decide) and then do a layer mask to conceal all. Next a soft brush on the layer mask, changing it conceal all (hit X and your foreground will be white) and paint back in starting at 30% opacity (up in the brush menu) and working your way up to a higher opacity. You do NOT want it to be a plastic looking face, but rather to blend in the shading. Also, DO NOT do this on anything other than skin. This is something that Katrin Eismann touched up on Chapter 9 Portrait Retouching in her book Photoshop Restoration & Retouching.

One word of caution and that is to have your layers  and layer mask saved in case you need to go back. If you overdo this it will not make it past Quality Control. You also need to go back and have her sweater-blouse fade into the background so that she doesn't look like a head statue.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

Maybe this will help. I think the darker area around the neck is a mesh, part of the dress.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

david_gr

Well, this one has certainly been a challenge.  I learned a lot about masks on this one.  I've been avoiding them but I guess they are not as bad as I thought. Please let me know what you think.  I thought about her bottom.  I really to prefer to have the softer edge as opposed to the hard one suggested.  The filter helped.  Hopefully, it did the job. Here it is.

Mhayes

QuoteI really to prefer to have the softer edge as opposed to the hard one suggested.

David, having soft edges on her sweater would be okay, but what you have done is just the V part and nothing to suggest more of the sweater. As it stands now she looks like a floating head. Look at Kiska's suggestion and bring more of her sweater out with sharp edges on the V, but soft edges on the sweater. The sweater can be a partial, but it needs to show the shoulders and come down a little from the V at the bottom.

Her face looks good here, but when I download her I see splotches everywhere. Glad to see you are learning how to use masks as they will make your job a lot easier.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

:police: I am the background replacement police. This is a good example. It is always better to repair than replace. But, if you must, select the subject and Refine Edge +33 Feather 11 and save the selection. that way you can preserve the delicate transition areas between the subject and the background. Select a background color from that margin and use it to fill. You will still lose the texture in the background, but the subject won't look cut out.

Bambi

Hannie

David, what a beautiful damage repair you did on this lovely lady!

Like Margie I also like Kiska's tip to faintly paint (oh dread!) back in part of the dress, even if only a hint of the outline.

Bambi is right about background replacement, it hardly ever looks the way you want it to look.
What if you try to get the background a little less white, for instance slightly darken an oval section in the middle?  (subject can be masked out)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

david_gr

Yes, Hannie.  Great work.  I tried to duplicate it.  Here is what I came up with.  Hopefully, it is good enough.

What do you all think? 

Mhayes

David, much improved but look at Hannie's and how well she blended in with the background and there is no white edging like yours. Also, read Bambi's post above on how to feather so it will blend in. Not sure how you got the white edging on the bottom of sweater, bottom of V, and neckline?

Great to see her head is no longer floating.  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

David, I used the Gradient (radial shape) tool in a layer mask, that way the transition from dark to light is barely noticeable.

Looking really good though!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

david_gr

Thank you all for your patience.  Here is my most current version.  I hope it works.  This restore has really stretched me.  Hannie, I tried the gradient tool with no success but I think I have corrected the problem fairly well.   Here is what I have.  Let me know if there are some fairly simple fixes.  If I still haven't addressed the major issues I think you need to pass this on to someone else. I don't want these folks waiting unnecessarily.

:-\

Mhayes

David, I think you have done a great job and along the way have picked up some new skills (layer masks) that will be helpful on other restores. The only thing I see that I would change would be the white edging around the bottom between the woman and the background. I think Hannie's suggestion would have worked had you done that before you had the white edging, but since I don't really know your work flow I can't really give a fix. I would upload it back to your distributor and it does not need to be put out for another volunteer to work. Quality Control may decided to tweak out the white at the bottom (a minor pic), but otherwise a great restore!

Thanks for hanging in there as I'm sure you felt frustrated at times.  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

You've been a real trooper with this one David; thank you so much for all the hard work, as it has really paid off. 

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

david_gr

Thank you all for your patience and understanding on this.  I will upload what I have to Bambi and she can do what is appropriate.  I feel bad that I could not have done better with them.  But you are right Margie, I did learn from this experience.   :)