• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Advice on widespread damage

Started by stepher668, October 15, 2014, 12:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stepher668

Hello,

I'm looking for advice on the widespread damage on the bottom of this photo (and any other tips/thoughts you have). I've tried various methods to try and get rid of all of it including the patch tool, stamp tool, and noise reduction. The damage is in all of the channels, and since I'm not super confident in how to work with channels, I don't really know what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Original

Work in progress

Mhayes

Hi Stepher668,

I have placed a call to the owner this morning and left a message for her to call back. I did a simple Curves Adjustment and came up different than you as shown below. Whether the browser will show true is another thing.

My thoughts would be to work in sections: baby's blanket, baby's outfit, and baby. I would clean up the blanket and depending on what the owner has to say, the blanket may very well go from light to darker blue/purple. The shadows on the blanket will have bluing and that is natural. Coming out from the shadows the blanket will be cream white (will get more answers) and you can fix the damage by using good information. Now for the baby. It is natural for it to be that color, but needs to be toned down and damage fixed. Guessing the baby is a boy; i would assume the outfit is blue, but will get more information there too.

On your WIP the whole picture has a blueish/yellow cast and I would not work further on it as it will be harder to separate different parts.

More later.

Margie

P.S. When I have a large photo to post such as this one; I make a copy (keep your orig and WIP safe) for the web and change the resolution 10 120 dpi for posting. That way it loads faster and takes less space on an image storage site.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

I did talk to the owner this morning and the quilt does a gradual change to deep blue. As to the numerous dots of mold, that is probably going to be the healing brush and other areas different tools and use of layer masks. Post your WIP and we will help and if you feel too overwhelmed, ask your distributor to return the photo and try another that you feel more comfortable working on.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

stepher668

Hi Margie,

Thanks so much for all your advice and for reaching out to find out more information on the photo.

Here's my latest WIP.

Mhayes

You're getting there, but look at the one I posted and notice how the blanket has the white and how the how it varies from light to darker at the bottom. With yours there is no white but but a blueish cast all over and way too dark at the bottom instead of gradually going from light to dark. Especially notice how you have it darker midpoint--yes, there will be shadows but there will still be some of the white.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

stepher668

One last iteration for the night.

I really do appreciate all your advice.

Pat

You really picked a tough one and I am sure the family will appreciate all the hard work.  It looks to me like maybe the collar photo right should turn up a bit similar to the way it is on the left side; see below.  Easy enough to overlook with all the other damage you had to work through.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

stepher668

Thanks for all your advice!

Here's my latest WIP.

Mhayes

This is much improved. You know that you still have damage on the blanket and discoloration? Also notice the two white streaks that pass through the baby's face and the other across the chest. Baby's skin looking a lot better. Hang in there as you are getting closer.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

I agree with Margie.  Your perseverance is really paying off!  Hang in, you're almost there.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

stepher668

Here's the latest WIP with some minor adjustments based on your feedback. I really do appreciate it!

Tori803

Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge