• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Another Young Girl

Started by david_gr, October 06, 2014, 11:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david_gr

On this one, I have what appears to be a bow on the top of her head.  However, on the right side the color and the texture of the bow appears as well.  So what do you all think, is it damage or should it be left alone?  If it is damage, it will be easy to clean up the "bow" on the top of her head.  The damage on the right I am not sure what to with, do I clear it out and fill it in with background or do I fill it in with hair? 

And I thought this one was going to be easy.   :funny:  PS Nonetheless, it's great to be back.  :)

David Gr

Before

After

Mhayes

Nice job David! I think it is part of the bow and not damage and not her hair. I would leave as is.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

bjtx

Nice WIP, Dave
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Mhayes

Betty, I see what you are trying to accomplish, but the problem is that you are trying to interpret the photo to the colors you think it should be instead of what it actually was originally. I know sometimes a color cast is hard to remove and tweaking is necessary. What you have done is very pleasing to the eye, but you have changed the little girl from a red head to a brunette which she isn't, and deciding to force her dress to a different shade. Using the gray eye dropper on the background helped reduced the red, but that is tweaking the background to what you want and not what it is. I tried both a Levels Adjustment, Curves Adjustment, and Curves Adjustment after finding a neutral gray. The problem with the last is that while I could come close to doing a neutral gray--using a layer in "Overlay Mode" with "Fill with Overlay-neutral color-50% gray--and then changing the layer to "Difference" and finding where it was close to black for my neutral gray. While the background has some dark points it wasn't a good choice and I ended up not finding what I thought was a good choice. The Level's Adjustment bringing in the sliders is less red than the Curves Adjustment.

Here is both the Curves and Levels Adjustment. Since red sometimes looks darker when posted, download to compare.

Curves Adjustment

Levels Adjustment

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

bjtx

Thank you Margie.

Dave, I have removed my suggestion regarding any possible residual red cast in the dress. background, & other areas (maybe eyes & teeth) to prevent any confusion that it might have caused.

:) betty
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 

Mhayes

Betty, just because it wasn't the solution in this case, doesn't mean it won't be on the next one. You did a really nice restore and volunteers like to see how to approach a problem from a different angle.  :up2:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

bjtx

Margie, I know I enjoy reading discussions & seeing  techniques by others.  I look forward to what members post.