• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Is this tinted or not?

Started by philbach, August 29, 2014, 08:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbach

Just wondering.  This interesting photo has a tint to it.  The question is should I keep the tint or is the color due to aging of the print.  Thanks

phil

philbach

phil

dle

My guess is that the original wasn't tinted in the sense of being dyed after being developed. But I'd also bet the print was made using one of the processes that result in slightly warm black tones and that the paper itself was probably not a bright white even its original state.

On photos like this one, I usually add two layers above the grayscale image to restore the original tint. First, a Hue/Saturation layer set to colorize with HSL values of 35-55, 10-15 and 0, respectively and a Lighten blend mode. Then above that, a solid color fill layer with HSB value of 30-35, 4-8 and 100 in Color Burn blend mode.

Given the color of the original here, I'd tend go with hue values toward the high (green) end of the range and the saturation toward the lower end to keep the effect subtle.

Hope that helps.
Dave

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
-- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut (1953–1994)

Tori803

I would prepare both versions. I like the black and white better, but the owner might prefer the aged look.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

I agree with Tori on liking the B/W better, but sent both versions. David, thanks for your insight on the photo and how you would work it.

Phil, nice work on a really interesting photo.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

Thanks.  I will send both versions. 
phil