• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Ruffles or water damage?

Started by susanccr, August 29, 2014, 01:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susanccr

I'm working on a picture and need the opinion of the site.

On the left is the untouched original.  On the right is my interim - obviously lots more work and tweaking needed.

Is that line down the middle of her dress ruffles or is it damage?

At first I thought ruffles and started to restore them but on closer examination I think it might be damage.  What do you think?

Mhayes

Susanccr,

It is damage and not ruffles. At first I was going to say that you need to color correct first, but the original is what it is and I suspect it was scanned and the scanner did its thing. Usually when I see where you are looking at the ruffle part and see the red or orange, then I can usually go to the blue channel and see what it looks like underneath, but not this time.

What is hard to tell is that on your right you can see she has something like a jacket and it overlaps the belt, but on the other side the jacket does not overlap the belt--so it is under the belt on that side?

I know that this photo is narrow and tempting to post side by side, but better to post the original and your WIP separately. Easier for volunteers to download and also keeps PhotoShelter for resizing your photo.

Good start.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

Or maybe the jacket overlapping the belt is a "tie" of sorts coming the collar???
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Tori803

Maybe some kind of built in scarf? But no one-sided ruffle. Looks like the material is a soft jersey knit.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

PhotoBob

That sure looks like damage to me. It doesn't make sense to have ruffles going down one side, off center. It also lines up with the water damage going through her hair.

Bob
PhotoBob
"Every cat should come with his own instruction manual."  -- BP Collin

susanccr

Thanks.  Sometimes when you stare at something long enough it all starts to look strange and it's best to get a second opinion.

I couldn't figure out why she would have ruffles either.  She seems like a stylist, put-together woman who wouldn't have random ruffles on an otherwise simple dress.

The thing coming over her belt looks to be a tie or drape.  Luckily the damage there is minimal so I'll just get rid of the obvious damage and figure it out from there.

lurch

<C>

Candice

Candice

susanccr

susanccr

Well, I'm a little further along - I'd say about midway.

I've had to guess about a lot of the details as there was no information in any of the channels.  However, if you look at the original you will see that there IS enough information in her eyes to see where the irises go so if she looks crosseyed, it's a trick of the angle.  ;)

There is obviously a lot more work to be done but I thought I'd post this now in case I've missed something.

kiska

Looking good! If you add just a dot of white to the inner part of the eye, it won't look as crossed.
I also made her cheek a bit bigger and brought the shadow on the shade over to meet her hair (kinda rough). The red on the shade is damage.
OH, just noticed. Her left arm should overlap the belt. It looks just the opposite now.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

susanccr

Thanks!  The white dot is a great touch.

The red is actually a candle behind her.  I uploaded some fairly low res versions to save on bandwidth, but on the full-sized original you can make it out.

Lots on this is still very rough.  This has been a challenging one, but I think it's coming along.  More to come.  :)

Candice

It really is coming along very well. 
Candice

susanccr

Been working on it a little.  It needs some tweaking and cleaning up but I think all the major elements are there.

Candice

You can tell how hard you've worked on this photo.   :up2:
Candice