• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Down Memory Lane

Started by Mhayes, August 26, 2014, 01:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

As you have noticed the Forum is a little slow right now and won't pick up until we come back from our copy run to Pensacola, FL in Sept. I thought in the meantime that it would be fun to do a little trip down memory lane and hear from you on how you heard about OPR, remembering your first restore--sounds like remembering your first love.   ;)

I started back in July 2007 and I would like to say my first restore was such a success that I was herald as a new and rising star in OPR. Unfortunately my first attempt resuled in my humiliation and a desire to commit "hari kari." Okay a slight exaggeration, but it was a humbling experience. I couldn't find my attempt, but here is the thread way back then and I did find the original: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,833.msg7602.html#msg7602

Back then it was not amusing, but the woman hated my work and commented that I had made her hair straight. It didn't matter that her photo should have been a "non-restore," but it was accepted as it was the only photo she had. The bright side is that another relative had a smaller picture (orig. was 15 x 20) that was copied and sent to us and I believe Candice got to restore that one. Footnote: the woman did have curly hair.

So much water under the bridge since that day. I've gone from volunteer to distributor to president. I have had the honor of helping on 10 copy runs and meeting some wonderful people along the way. A big thanks to all of you that made this possible.   :hug:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

What a great idea Margie, thanks for starting this thread.

Back in 2010 I'd purchased Katrin Eismann's Photoshop Restoration and Retouching book.  She mentioned OPR on the website that hosted the practice photos for exercises in the book.

I'd never participated in any kind of online forum before and was just learning photo restoration; it took me a couple of months of watching from the sidelines to get up the nerve to join in and I have never regretted it.  This has to be the friendliest forum in cyberspace, everyone loves sharing tips and techniques to aid our common goal of restoring memories for those who have lost so much as a result of natural disaster.

Since joining OPR I've advanced to helping newbies behind the scenes as they work through the registration process, become familiar with the OPR side of Photoshelter, and I also like to encourage their participation on the forum.  Hubby Mike S. joined in 2011 and since then we have both worked behind the scenes on and attended six copy runs so far.   

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

G3User

I have kept copies of all the restorations attempted, very good for an attack of swollen head. The first I can find was taken in 2006 and modified in May 2007. #3 was my first attempt at repairing a face, the people doing quality control were extremely tolerant and it wouldn't get through these days.

I had a copy of CS3, (still use it) that I was using for family photos and needed something to motivate me into learning more about it. Can't recall how I learned of OPR, back then Dave Ellis, one of the founders was president and put up with me making a complete mess of downloading early restorations.

Like Pat, I get hold of Katrin Eismann's book and it is still the bible. I have made a couple of attempts to put together a "How To" folder, these days it is a matter of remembering it is there to look at.

I suspect that I am still using only a fraction of PS capability and one day I plan to really understand Blend Modes and Apply Image command. In the mean time I am having fun, regret that getting involved in a copy run isn't feasible but am far enough away so I can give the President heaps with safety. >:D

Athol

philbach

Well I joined back in 2006.  I have been a member of Retouch Pro for years and heard about OPR from them and joined.  I do enjoy restoring photos and it sort of relaxes me.  I spend the first hour of the day messing around with the restore of the day.  I have learned much and have become a tad more humble as I have grown more proficient.  I also started with Katrin Eisman's book.  A great way to learn the basics. 
phil